Underground Railroad quilt ideas

Has anyone here quilting the Underground Railroad quilt? I have it on my frame now and am stuck for ideas with the 4" sashing. I cross hatched the outer border that touches the sashing. I did a 1/4" stitch off the seam in the sashing around the blocks so have 3 1/2" to fill and it needs a traditional design. I"m stumped! Any ideas?? I would like to do something free hand but don't know what would be suitable.

I'll try to attach a photo of the quilt i found on the web.

post--13461902735697_thumb.jpg

I am quilting one know. I did crosshatching in the sashing and every block got custom quilting.

I did alot of CC'S because of all the little squares.

I did a small feathers in the Dresdan plate and McTav in that block, the basket,crosshatching and feathers, Log Cabin..still deciding.

Boat block..did clouds in the sky,waves in the water and did custom in the boat body.

The rest is still unquilted

My client bought this as a kit and it is called Underground Railroad. It could just be a variation on the original or maybe the 'Canadian version' of the story ;)

I am half way done the quilt. I just got Linda's Cross Hatching Rulers this week and enjoying using them for the first time on the outside border. I used the Pumpkin Seed stencil for the sashing and am doing a lot of CC in the blocks.

I better get back at it!

Archived