bobbin problem

i can't seem to get my bobbin thread to pull up when i do the one stitch thing (or any other way)... i tried a search for the answer but couldn't find the 'magic' words to bring up any answers... does this mean my machine is out of time? thanks for any help! charla

• 2 weeks later...

to followup on this post... i believe the original problem was that the 'finger' was too far back... since my machine is about 3 years old, i decided to drive the 3 hours to visit connie and get a 'tune up'... wow wow wow...waht a difference!! i got a new bobbin assembly (no rattle while i quilt now), new wheels (glides like on ice), new hopping foot (i love it!! no more plastic adapter)... i didn't realize what a jalopy i was quilting on until i got it home... i believe my machine had a defective bobbin assembly from the very beginning (the thread would catch on it everytime i brought the thread to the top--everytime!)-- "quilting with a light touch", didn't register until now-- now that i'm using a very light touch to quilt! like many others, i guess i never had anything to compare a 'great running machine' with--so i made do with what i had.. that 3 hour trip to carroll, iowa, was well worth it...i love my millie! thanks connie!

another followup-- i can't believe how much control i have with my machine now... it must be the new wheels(?)... sorry to keep raving on and on about my 'tuneup', but i am thrilled... now if only it would would quilt like myrna!! (no, not ready for a compuquilter!) :D

There you go again Charla you can quilt like me, Just do it. I think you need to come spend some more time with me. You aren't having enough fun all by yourself up there :cool: Grab Deb and come on down. Will I see you in Co. Springs or Id this summer?

Hugs, Myrna

• 1 year later...

Charla,

There is a reference to the "bobbin drop test" on the APQS website at http://www.apqs.com/quiltingmachinetension.htm. However, it doesn\'t tell you how to do the test, just what the results should be for different kinds of bobbins.

The procedure as I\'ve been told: Put the bobbin in the bobbin case, hold it in the palm of your hand, then let it drop - the results should be as follows, according to APQS: 3-4 inches for pre-wound bobbins, 4-5 inches for plastic bobbins, 5-7 inches for metal bobbins. My experience is that I wind up chasing the bobbin across the floor, because every time it falls out of the case.:P

Do a search on this Chat for "bobbin" and you\'ll get all sorts of input as to how to get your bobbin tension to a good starting spot.

Good luck!

Archived