Needle Bar Screw Broke!

JenC

Help! I was tightening the screw to hold the needle in....and the head twisted off! Now the screw is stuck and I can't change the needle!!

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas how to get the screw out?

Nothing like being in the Christmas rush to bring out the demons in my machine!

Jennifer

Jenphotogb@aol.com

Millennium

Oh Jennifer - I feel you pain!!! I have twisted at least 3 of those tiny little screws in half - either I am too strong for them - or they are way to wimpy....

Quick fix - can you just use the other side? Maybe to help push out the screw? I had a broken one in one side for months, but was still able to use the other side to tighten in a needle.

My husband fixed my problem for me - for Good!!! We took out the needle bar and he "tapped-out" the broken screw half. He then drilled - or tapped - a bit of a bigger hole - going through all the way. I now have 2 little allen head set-screws - that I tighten with an allen wrench. #6 / 32 NC thread tap size - #36 drill bit size. This works SO much better for me!!!!

I think all of the machines should be set up this way. That little screw head would always get sharp little burrs on it too... I think that with the 2 set-screws I fell better about that needle staying in place and perhaps I don't tighten it as much. Has worked like a charm for me!!

Keep in mind this in NOT an easy fix. The needle bar comes with it's own set of brass bushings that are set in place with a certain type of Loc-tite. It many be necesary - if you remove the needle bar - that it needs to be replaced along with the bushings.

I hope you are able to get up and running soon - good luck! Email me if you have any questions - someplace I have photos we took during this process..... someplace! :cool:

Jennifer,

If you have a small enough drill bit, you may be able to drill into the remains of the needle bar screw enough to weaken its grip on the needle. Then use a pliers to pull the needle out of the needle bar.

There should be a hole on the opposite side of the needle bar so that you can use that for a new needle bar needle screw.

Good luck!

Archived