resume help

You have successfully run/managed your own business for how many years. Arranged for the ordering and receiving of supplies, Scheduled/managed the timeliness of work flow. Customer service skills. Managed the budget. Maintained machinery, oil, cleaning, etc.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find something that isn't a drag to go to.

Ditto what Madelyn said. :)

Now, there are a gazillion places on the web on how to write a resume to fit the job you're looking for. Also how to write your cover letter for that job, and there are great resources out there on how to prepare answers to those interview questions!

That all said, what type of work are you looking for? Do you know of a company that you've heard treats their employees well and has good benefits? If so, start networking. Most jobs are not posted in the classified ads. Most of the good jobs (fun, interesting, diverse, salary etc) are found through connections of who you know, or who have met, or are associates of someone, etc. So be creative in your searches. Best wishes to you.

Don't mention quilting unless the job is creative enough for your interviewer to "get" that quilting is a zillion dollar business in the US. Just mention your business/web site/scheduling and management skills. If they ask, let them know your business is in the "art field".;)

Outsiders envision Li'l Old Ladies (of which I am proudly a member!) when you say "quilt".

Good luck on your search--Is there an LQS that can use your talents?

I am a certified professional resume writer and I write resumes for a living. I would tell you NOT to mention that you owned your own business. You might have been the President or Chief Executive Officer, but do NOT say you owned the business. People who interview you are afraid of people who owned their own businesses because you are too creative, can't take orders, don't want to follow directions, and just too independent. Play down the part that you owned and operated your own business. Concentrate on the "worker bee" aspect of what you've been doing.

Do tell them that you have worked with creating business plans, budgets, ordering supplies, you are good with working with people and following directions. If you created different marketing brochures and advertisements, mention that you have done this. Stick to what you did to grow you business and use concrete numbers to prove it such as "increased business XX% over a 2 year period."

Archived