Batting Frustration

I would like to purchase a roll of batting. Now the frustration - when spending $$ on a roll - which one should be purchased for both wall hangings and bed quilts. Hobbs 80/20 is what I've used from the LQS. I also used QD Cotton Select in one quilt and it made the quilt a bit stiff.

Does anyone have information as to where one would look for a comparison chart on batting depth, texture, what it's made of, inches to be quilted, etc. Just one place with all the info? I've been searching - can't find anything yet.

Thanks!

I personally like Hobbs 80/20 even in my wallhangings. I like the battings that are more open like your wools or your blends, silks and stuff like that.... And Dream Puff if you can find it, is a GREAT batting.

When you have a stiff quilt regardless of the batting, how was it quilted? Are you a dense quilter, then a QD Cotton Select will be a stiffer quilt where if you had use a blend or wool it would have been snuggly regardless of the density.

I hate having to make this decision myself, as you have a whole to choose from and your customers don't always like what you do...good luck. And for that reason alone I use to make my ladies bring me their battings.

Laura,

You can get a sample pack from QD if you have a business account with them. It gives you one of each of their battings craft size. Then you can quilt them up and see for yourself the differences. I love QD wool & QD Puff. If it were for a wall hanging I would use puff only because I've heard wool can sag over time. I have 80/20 too but not my fav. I do have a roll of it and use it for various things. IMHO you want a batting that is a bit stiffer for a wall hanging. Just makes it hang straighter.

Archived