What to do?

I need some suggestion.

I've a top loaded on the machine and am 1/3 down the top with a panto design. I go to advance the quilt and there's huge ripples down both sides because the borders are too long. I noticed the ends were flappy when I loaded it but I thought I could work with it...but there's no way I can smooth this out without quilting huge pleats into the top.

I called the customer, she agreed to fix it so I unloaded the whole thing and gave it back to her. She said she fixed it so I reloaded it and found she only fixed on side...the wavy borders are still on one side.

I took the top off again and spread it out on the living room carpet to find that not only are the borders wavy but the top is 5 inches narrower across the center then on the ends.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I ask her to take out the 1/3 that's already quilted, then tell her to fix and square up the quilt? Could I have quilted this is I would have quilted it freehand from the front of the machine and floated all the layers?

Or is this top just a disaster and I should wash my hands of it?

And I know I should have taken all those measurements before I even loaded the top...but I've been quilting with this woman for about 10 years and thought she knew how to quilt. :)

Thanks

Rita

I had this happen to me a couple of times. I just made a small pleat to take up the fullness, quilted over it carefully, like it was not there; then slip stitched it after I took it off the machine. I've attached a picture.

Hope it works out for you. I did charge my customer extra, and explained how to add borders for the next time.

post--1346190334114_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry Rita, as I only read the first part of your post! Bad me:mad::mad:

I would pleat it and keep going, just tell her she only fixed one side. This is taking up a lot of your time and you should not have to load, unload, load again only to have to unload it AGAIN! I would make her understand, sweetly of course, how much time you already have invested in this quilt!

Thanks Linnea, I did try to pleat it but each border is a different color so when I folded the pleat in the lines of each border did not line up so it looked kind of like a staircase...each one off kilter a little bit.

I do have a lot of time in this one because she was trying to fix it at my house last night, then threw up her hands and told me fix and she'd pay me for my troubles. But she's a good friend of mine and I know she won't be if I were to charge her for all this trouble. My hubby says I should give the whole thing back as is...tell her to take out the quilting then fix the quilt herself.

I'm having a meeting with her in an hour...we'll see how that goes.

Rita

Hi Lib

I wasn't able to ease the one side that's already been fixed...there was an excess of 4 inches on the outside border, 3" middle border and 3 inches on the inside border. I wish I'd taken pictures of it..the quilt is a mess. It still needs work and is laying on my living room carpet so she can see for herself when she comes out tonight. I'll take a picture and post it here as well.

The quilt is the Star of Bethleham so there's the 4 big squares that square off the star then the big setting triangles....both the squares and the triangles were cut the wrong size yet she made them fit. Then she started adding borders of which none were the right size.

I think her sewing space at home is very small so she didn't lay it out or take proper measurements as she was sewing it. But none of that is my problem I know, but I'd still like to get this top quilted for her as it is really beautiful.

Archived