To trim or not to trim and a couple more questions

I always ask the customer if they want it trimmed or not.

If they do. I write it down on their take-in sheet, then read it back to them "confirming" exactly

what it is they want.

Then...they SIGN that all the information above is correct.

I give them a photo copy of the take-in sheet when I return the quilt to them. That way, there is NO confusion, misunderstanding, or mis-communication.

I always trim the quilt, do not charge for trimming to a clean edge, but I do charge extra for "professionally squaring-up"; ranging from to $5 for a baby quilt, to $20 for large king-size. I find that with most experienced quilters, it will not really need that much squaring, so I only charge if the quilt is really wonky & the customer requests it. I always return the excess backing, but return the batting left-overs only if they are big enough to be useful. I do have a take-in sheet, which I keep on file, but only give the customer a copy if she requests it (I try to remember to ask).

Thank you for all your input. It's fascinating to see that about 99% don't trim the quilts for the customer.

I've always trimmed right to the edge of the quilt and have never been asked not to. It does take about 10 minutes but they are so impressed to see what is almost a complete and perfect top..with nice clean edges. It does make a first good impression. I am going to add it onto my check-in list tho and start asking in the future. And I always give back the xtra backing and batting. I sure don't need that building up here and to have to store it.

As the for the prewound bobbins, I never have removed paper from either side and won't start doing it either. It was just something I'd heard mentioned that we should be doing. My theme is, if it's not broken, don't tamper with it.

Rita

Archived