Quilt Market Houston/Freedom SR Question

I recieved an acceptance to teach my classes on Business Blogs, Twitter and LinkdIn at the Houston Quilt Market in October. If you are attending, I would love to meet you...come by or take the class.

I also have a question. I currently have a green liberty. I am pondering the Freedom SR for the additional throat space. I have test driven a Millie but it seemed heavy to me. Could it be that it was "set" in such a way that it felt heavy and sluggish? The Freedom felt lighter and seemed to move more easily. I would appreciate any input since the Millie has some very good packages right now.

Marion Carmickle, ChiliQuiltes Quilting and Embroidery

I have owned a Millie and traded it in for a Freedom SR. It is a lighter machine. The thread cutter weighs 2 lbs 12 oz, the channel locks weigh approximately 6 oz each and this makes the Millie weigh more. In my personal opinion, I think the channel locks also increase the stiffness of the machine, but I may be an odd ball with that idea, but I really think the channel locks change the feel of the machine. I took the thread cutter off my Millie which helped a lot, but it is wasn't as light or moved as freely. Yes, my machine was level, the wheels looked like they are suppose too and my table was level.

I have also owned a Liberty when I was in business. I used it for custom quilting and some pantographs, because my Millie also had a Compuquilter. It would quilt while I was working on the Liberty. I do like the throat space on the Freedom and Millie. I wouldn't want less. I had thought at one time about getting an A-1, but really like the stitch quality of the APQS machines better and the A-1 has less throat space.

Marion, I do agree with you. The Freedom does move more easily and is lighter. Would I go back to a Millie? No, because I don't really need auto-channel locks and that to me is really the only difference that is of value. I never used my thread cutter because I learned to bring the threads to the top of the quilt so it didn't matter.

Good luck on your decision. I vote for a Freedom:)

Archived