Difference between Used Millie or New

I'm looking to buy a long arm or mid arm and cost is an issue. I thought I had everything researched and had decided the HQ16 would support my hobby. I had the clerk quote me a price and with the new increase, table and taxes it came to just over $9,000.

My friend owns a Liberty and loves it but wants to upgrade to a Millie in a few years. So on her reccomendation I strated looking at used Millies. As I was lookng through some classifieds I found a 2001 Millie that was listed for $11,000. This wasn't too much more that the HQ, so then I started thinking that I could get a lot more machine for about the same cost as a new HQ16.

Now that you have all that background, here are my questions:

1) What are the differences between a 2001 and a new Millie?

2) What kind of support will I get from APQS if I don't buy a machine directly from them?

3) How can I check out a machine that is in a different state before I buy it?

4) What is a fair price for a 2001?

5) Can I get the same kind of financing for a used machine as for a new machine?

Any other help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawnna

Hi Shawna

Myrna will fill you in on everything to suit your own situation but just to answer those questions on line for anyone else thinking the same as you.

APQS stand by their machines - no matter whether they are owned by the original purchaser or not.

From time to time you can purchase a factory-reconditioned machine directly from APQS at a great price and it comes with a warranty.

The green Millie is almost a new machine by the time APQS technicians have finished with it - hardly any of the original parts remain in the machine and it comes on a new table with great savings on new Milli prices.

There is a link on the homepage of this site to Used Machines.

Good luck on your choice.

Sue in Australia

Shawna,

I bought a used machine from somebody out of state. I just had to take a chance on it being as good as she said it was. And it is. I did have issues with shipping, call me if you decide to buy and I'll give you the details.

I will agree that APQS will back you and help you no matter where you buy your machine. I have called or emailed and talked to Connie or Mark so many times when I've had a problem. Everybody is great and so helpful.

For me a used machine was a great way to get started, and I personally don't think the HQ16 is capable of everything an APQS can do.

Shawanna:

To answer you question about warrantee on a used machine. Machines purchased from anyone other than the factory will not have a warrantee. In other words the warrantee is not transferable.:(

That said, keep in mind that you are saving a lot of money and if you need repair it still might save you money even if you had to pay for minor repairs... Normally if a machine is going to have a problem (rare but not unknown) it will show up early in the machines life, so most used machines have been broke in and run smooth.:)

They are a machine just like your car and require care and regular maintenance. And will need the wear items replaced (just like your car). You can replace them yourself, your local dealer would be glad to help you or Mark/Mike at the factory will walk you through.

I would suggest you look up your local dealer on the home page.

See here: http://apqs.com/demo1.htm

They will be able you give you guidance.

John

John,

What about the certified APQS machines listed? I believe the warranty is a year, correct? Would you still be eligible for the free class to help you get started? Can I arrange financing for a used, certified machine through APQS?

I keep eyeballing that used Liberty out there. Also the green Millies. :P

Thanks in advance.

Gail

Hi Gail:

You are correct on all counts. If you purchase a used Machine (including a Green Millennium) through APQS (I would suggest you purchase through you local dealer) you receive the 1-year warrantee and the free beginners lesson. You can take that lesson from your local dealer or travel to Des Moines to visit Dawn.

Jean Coleman is in Detroit and DeLoa Jones is in South Haven either one of these dealers can give you personalized service. Click "find a dealer" on the home page and click on MI for contact information.

Financing options are available from a national bank (we arrange financing through the national chain?s local branch).

APQS does not offer financing but we will put you in contact with a bank that understands the Quilting business and machines.

I hope this answers your questions. If you want to talk personally you are welcome to call Mary, Janet or myself at our studio 816-686-7636.

We also have a great value on a used Liberty. For information go to our web site www.countrylanequilting.com and click on used machines.

Good Luck,

John

Archived