Help! I can't get the chalk out!

Hi,

I'm in a panic. I know I saw posts a while ago about removing marks on quilts. I searched but couldn't find it. I used the pounce blue chalk on a giant dahlia quilt that had some off-white prints in it, hence the blue because I couldn't see the white. My mom made the quilt (awesome) and I quilted it. It was a gift for a friend. I washed the quilt after I brushed as much of the chalk off. I still see BLUE marks.

Anyone who has any ideas how to get these out? I would hate to ruin all those hours of feather plumes and stipple. Yikes:( (I hate marking anything because of this kind of stuff...I really want to use a stronger word at the moment.)

Thanks for any ideas. You ladies are my lifeline!

Merry Jo

Creative Quilting

Valley Center, CA

It's okay Merry Jo,

I had the same thing happen with yellow chalk, the chalk must be cut with another plain white chalk, I learned later. :o

I had great luck with using the liquid spray Oxi Clean.

You will have to test it in a small area, but I had no problems, I have also heard about the color magnetic dye cloths? Not sure who manufactures these, Ritz Dye maybe?

Anyway, you should be just fine after it is washed.;)

SAVED! Thanks for the quick responses. I had spray and wash on hand, so I tried that. It finally worked on the 3rd washing! Boy, was I in a panic. Especially since Dahlias are fairly difficult quilts to make in the first place.

If I can ever figure out how to post a picture, I'll post a couple of this quilt. I'm too new for it to be perfect, but I think it will pass.

I really appreciate all you more experienced quilters and I'm always amazed at how much everyone shares their knowledge. I've learned so much from this forum. Thanks for all your help.

Merry Jo

Creative Quilting

Valley Center, CA

Merry Jo,Posting a picture is easy. Go to your main chat area. Choose which sub group you want to put it in. Click on topic to start a new topic,,just like you did here. Then after you type your subject and the body of your message look right below the message box. There is a box for attachments. Click on browse, select the picture from your computer (make sure to resize it first), and tell it okay. When your post is posted your picture will show up.

Hi MerryJo,

So glad to hear that you got the chalk out. Did you put any

Nichole Webb goodies in your dahlia quilt?

About posting a photo. Resize to 640x480 so it fits nicely on

most peoples screens. And don't try to preview your post

with the photo in it. You can't see it til you "post reply".

If you try, it will blank out the path to the photo and you'll

get no photo in your post.

I am looking forward to seeing your quilt on here.

Hi Linda,

No! I've been Nicole Webb'ing some other stuff though! I learned so much in her class. I think she created a monster! I've way over-quilted a bunch of stuff, just for the fun of it.

I used the Giant Dahlia stencils from the Stencil Company and a pounce pad on the quilt. I probably over pounced because I've read were the chalk comes off before you get it quilted and you can't see it. That's probably another reason I had so much trouble getting it out. I was OK on the feathers as long as I relaxed and thought of it as a guideline (like a panto) instead of trying to be so perfect. I had the white-knuckle death grip on poor Aurora to start with.:D

I posted pics on a new topic because I messed up adding them here.

Thanks

Archived