Beginners challenge?

I think APQS should sponsor a Beginner Challenge. No big prizes are necessary. Just a way for Newer APQS owners to be challenged by quilters who walk in their shoes in the first year of being a longarmer. I mean not all our quilts are SHOW quilts but I've been really proud of some of my quilts even though they still have that Beginner appeal. lol

I think this could be great fun for all of us BEGINNERS. A big confidence boost.

Just a thought. I mean if I can do this anyone can. lol

So you beginners out there I'm calling out to you. lolol

What a great idea!!

How about going beyond a year or measuring "beginners" by the number of hours spent at the machine? I am only quilting 5-10 hours a week because I work full time. Compare that to someone who is quilting full time the first year and there is probably a big difference.

My first year is almost up. It's been a wild and crazy year. I can see a huge difference even now between quilts I was doing last fall and quilts I am doing today.

Some of the quilt shows have categories for quilting less than a year. Seem's like a good place to get your feet wet doing quilts for shows. I'm entering quilts in this category at Innovations in September. Either a quilt I did for my daughter or the wholecloth I'm working on now from the Karen McTavish class I had last week. Probably both if it is allowed. I don't expect to win anything, but would really like to have comments from the judges/teachers to know what I need to spend more time working on.

Debbi

I will be sending my check to APQS tomorrow...My Millie and CQ should hopefully be operational by mid August. I'll be training (for work) in Altamonte Springs, Florida next week, then shortly afterward I'll get my machine. Yee Hah!!

After a little time to wip up some muslin practice pieces, I'll be ready for those "fun" beginner competition quilts. . Hopefully the week of classes from Kansas City MQS will have given me a boost to be able to jump right in. Thanks to Karen, Linda, Sally, Dawn, Pam, Jessica, Kathy, Anita, Nicole, and, of course, my hotel buddy, Tammie, I've had lots of inspiration.

Hey everyone!

I think it is an awesome idea, let me check in with my general manager to see what we can come up with for you all, in the mean time, get those creative juices & idea's following, it will be fun to see the line up of beautiful quilts!:D

Hi Linda,

I was kinda thinking if one of you pros would except the photos and they could be posted and people could vote not knowing who's quilt they are voting for. We could set a date for the final and all the while Newer Beginners can join in anytime. We might get lots of beginners.

We could also setup something in webshots that someone (not a beginner) could simply post there for free and Number the quilts.

Just a thought. I just wanted it to be simple and Fun.

Archived