reflections on MQS

I haven't been on here much for a few years for reasons other than quilting but I'm back now. I've received so much support from this forum. I" m sitting here with a home brew of home crafted wheat beer-- I do have other divulgent inerests besides quilting.

I've been here since the beginning so I really hate to see any thing negative. I bought my machine in 2002 and was on the old forum/

I'm thinking about what I gained from MQS. I'm certain it applies to other shows as well but tis one is handy--14 miles from my house., wish my budget would allow for more. I took 4 awesome classes, viewed hundreds of incredible quilts, met several people face to face that I had talked to online, connectected with many quilters I now get to see once a year, and am insipred to do do more with my quilting.

This is what the shows are about is connecting with your craft and other people who are passionate about the same things that trigger your creative energy . It does not matter who wins but that they they inspire you to go beyond your limits.

tThank you for all those who win awards and those who were brave and submitted the incredile quilts for inspiring us to aim for the best and try for increasing the talents that we have.

I work full time in the financial sector and quilt part time for myself and others. Wish I could quilt full time but there are no perks.... ie:health ins. .

Hi Jeri ! Nice to see you here! I agree with you about entering quilts in these shows. All the chatter and interest is about the ribbon winners but in the big scheme of things, it's about the bigger picture; the over-all-encompassing positive energy of creating and inspiring and CELEBRATING the beautiful art and passion of quilt making together and sharing it with others, regardless if it wins a prize. So many beautiful quilts displayed in these shows and frankly there are just not enough ribbons to hang on all of them. If we go with the attitude that we all learn and become better quilters by trying our best and if we all support and contribute to the quilting industry when we enter our quilts in these shows, then that's what it's all about. Nobody should ever be afraid to stick their neck out and do what they love and share it with the world; share it with those who appreciate it. I congratulate all the ribbon winners and it must be something special to win, but I never want to ignore those many other people who entered their quilts -- I congratulate them (even more so) for being brave, doing their best, entering their work, participating. If we all do this we would need a football stadium to hold all the beautiful quilts in one place. Now, wouldn't that be something else? :)

thanks Shana and Kay I just think it's soo great when someone has the confidence to enter a quilt in any show that is more than their local guild.

The "big name" quilters are there becuase they pushed the limits with an awesome quilt or had an individual style and anyone can do that.

I've talked to many of the "big name" quilters because at MQS and other shows they are availabe--just talk to them they are just wonderful people. I have asked them what makes them special or stand out. Birget put it well this year when she told me and a friend that she developed her own style and tried very hard not to let other quilters influence her individuality. In other words be yourself and devlop a quilting style the fits you.

When I figure my style out I'll enter a quilt and feel good about about whatever gifts it receives-- even the normal judges critique and be happy

Archived