RESIZING PANTOGRAPH'S ** YES OR NO**

O.K. if there is a LAer out there who know's lots about copy-right laws, please advise.

If I have a roll pattern or pantograph that I bought & paid for, is it O.K. to resize it, up or down, or will I be breaking a law.

I have a printer friend that will do it, but I thouhgt I would ask first, just in case.

Gerry, My understanding is that copywrite allows limited reproduction of written material for personal use. The copywrite is intended to protect written material against reproduction for commercial purposes --presumably for re-sale. If your using the panto pattern in the manner its intended your OK -- you should be fine with resizing for your project. Your selling the quilt not the pattern. If you were resizing the pattern and selling the pattern you'd be infringing on the copywrite. If your not comfortable, check for a web page from the person/company that holds the copywrite and see if they have a blurb about re-sizing. If not, call them and ask permission and your bases are covered.

Guest Linda S

I have always asked permission from the designer before proceding with resizing. Usually, they are willing to let you do it, but I would feel a whole lot better if I knew I had permission first.

Linda

Most designers I contacted didn't want to be bothered with resizing and you can resize for your own use. There are those however, Linda Taylor and Hari Walner, that want you to order another pattern from them in the size you require.

If you have Trillium House Designs, you are free to use them on as many customer quilts as you want, and you can resize them to a size that meets your needs. :)

Thanks again Daelene::)

A question for you, as a Candian, do we abide by U.S. copy-right laws & their restrictions, or are we covered under a differant set of laws, or maybe both sets of laws?

Is there a golbal set of copy-right laws for all of us to follow?

Gee I hope that made sence.

Without delving into copyright law, I try to think about how I want to be treated as a designer. The Golden Rule applies just as much here as anywhere else. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." That makes more sense to me than all the laws in the world. Simplistic? Maybe. But I think we try to complicate things too much. Keep it simple, and do what's right, no matter what country you live in.

Okay, I'll go clean my rusty halo now. ;) hahaha

Gerry, sometimes the copyright restrictions are spelled out on the panto or in the book. The way I understand it is that the designer can specify what restrictions they want to place on their work. Hari Walner requires that the customer purchase the design (this includes her stencils) so a LA quilter can either sell the pattern to the customer or they can purchase it elsewhere. The LA quilter can't purchase the pattern or stencil and use it on any quilt but her/his own. Too bad as she has lots of neat designs. jeri

Archived