introduce my self properly

Welcome! At least you have the color wheel memorized. I still can't use it. I can never find any of my colors on the wheel. I ask strangers to help me pick colors. There's always someone around who's good at it. I suspect you're better than you give yourself credit for. In no time you'll be churning out those quilts. Practice, practice, practice!

Carol

Sorry your Millie is 'Illie'! Hope she's feeling better very soon.

Here's a tip I use when teaching new quilters. You've picked a patterned fabric & don't know what other fabrics to put with it. Look along the selvage edge - most fabric manufacturers put a color key along it showing every color they used to produce that fabric. Use these colors to find what goes with your print or textured fabric. You'll be amazed sometimes at how many different colors they use to make a print. It's a good starting place but before long it will become instinctive. Also, exact color match is not necessary. The other useful tip is texture of the fabric pattern. Ie you're using 3 fabrics - aim for a bigger scale of pattern, a medium scale & small scale/ 'read as solid' or even a solid. This is across your color choices.

Good luck! This could keep you occupied while you wait......

Carol

Sorry your Millie is 'Illie'! Hope she's feeling better very soon.

Here's a tip I use when teaching new quilters. You've picked a patterned fabric & don't know what other fabrics to put with it. Look along the selvage edge - most fabric manufacturers put a color key along it showing every color they used to produce that fabric. Use these colors to find what goes with your print or textured fabric. You'll be amazed sometimes at how many different colors they use to make a print. It's a good starting place but before long it will become instinctive. Also, exact color match is not necessary. The other useful tip is texture of the fabric pattern. Ie you're using 3 fabrics - aim for a bigger scale of pattern, a medium scale & small scale/ 'read as solid' or even a solid. This is across your color choices.

Good luck! This could keep you occupied while you wait......

Carol,

I hope that you are holding up ok as you wait for parts.

You already know this - but a lot of LA practicing has nothing to do with using the machine. It's drawing - whether with pencil and paper or on a white board. Really getting the hand-eye coordination down before threading up the machine is so useful - and something I don't do enough. So, the anticipation is still gnawing at you, start drawing on anything and everything, including the walls! Better to use the walls for drawing instead of climbing:)

Lynn

Carol,

I hope that you are holding up ok as you wait for parts.

You already know this - but a lot of LA practicing has nothing to do with using the machine. It's drawing - whether with pencil and paper or on a white board. Really getting the hand-eye coordination down before threading up the machine is so useful - and something I don't do enough. So, the anticipation is still gnawing at you, start drawing on anything and everything, including the walls! Better to use the walls for drawing instead of climbing:)

Lynn

Archived