oil on top thread

Can someone help me? I just finished a crib quilt and when I took it off and really looked at it, there are places that the top thread is black! (instead of pink) I could see it somewhat, but thought I was seeing needle holes in the fabric. (also thankfully the fabric pattern minimizes it) I had done about 10 minutes of practice quilting before I loaded the quilt without a problem...I am unable to make telephone contact with APQS.

Can someone help me? I just finished a crib quilt and when I took it off and really looked at it, there are places that the top thread is black! (instead of pink) I could see it somewhat, but thought I was seeing needle holes in the fabric. (also thankfully the fabric pattern minimizes it) I had done about 10 minutes of practice quilting before I loaded the quilt without a problem...I am unable to make telephone contact with APQS.

Have you blown out (air compressor or canned air) and followed up by using WD40 to clean your bobbin assembly? Sometimes residue (old oil) builds up (gunky goo). Are you cleaning regularly with WD40 and oil.

Also, once a month you should remove your needlbar plate and wipe underneath and around that area. I am always wiping around my needle bar and keeping the bobbin area clean I don't get the black goo because of this regular maintenance and cleaning routine.

Have you blown out (air compressor or canned air) and followed up by using WD40 to clean your bobbin assembly? Sometimes residue (old oil) builds up (gunky goo). Are you cleaning regularly with WD40 and oil.

Also, once a month you should remove your needlbar plate and wipe underneath and around that area. I am always wiping around my needle bar and keeping the bobbin area clean I don't get the black goo because of this regular maintenance and cleaning routine.

A good rule of thumb is ....before I start quilting, i take a kleenex or piece of tissue and gently wipe the needlebar, there is always lint buildup and because it gets lubricated from the oil on top, gets oily as well. I always have a little band of oily lint....ask me how I found that out!!!!!

A good rule of thumb is ....before I start quilting, i take a kleenex or piece of tissue and gently wipe the needlebar, there is always lint buildup and because it gets lubricated from the oil on top, gets oily as well. I always have a little band of oily lint....ask me how I found that out!!!!!

Yes, I have done all as in the video, but I guess not well enough. I did remove the needle plate and re-cleaned after yesterdays incident. I seemed to get some black off the top of the bobbin area. I will also pay very close attention to the needle bar. I think this was a good lesson that turned out alright!

Yes, I have done all as in the video, but I guess not well enough. I did remove the needle plate and re-cleaned after yesterdays incident. I seemed to get some black off the top of the bobbin area. I will also pay very close attention to the needle bar. I think this was a good lesson that turned out alright!

When I remove the needle bar plate to clean that area with my air compressor, while the plate is off, I turn the machine on low speed and while it's spinning slow, I spray a few good squirts of WD40 down through the hole on the moving parts to get a good cleaning "from the top down" to catch any oil residue that could have built up.

Just remember after WD40 and spinning, stop and wipe that area out with a cloth, and follow with a few drops of oil through the hole from the top down, too while the machine is spinning slow. Works good.

When I remove the needle bar plate to clean that area with my air compressor, while the plate is off, I turn the machine on low speed and while it's spinning slow, I spray a few good squirts of WD40 down through the hole on the moving parts to get a good cleaning "from the top down" to catch any oil residue that could have built up.

Just remember after WD40 and spinning, stop and wipe that area out with a cloth, and follow with a few drops of oil through the hole from the top down, too while the machine is spinning slow. Works good.

Archived