Latest longarm project

pond2.png

I think I have worked out how to use my blogger images on here. I am keeping my fingeres crossed.

Anyway this is my latest longarm project. I have just finished sewing it all together. It will be on show at the Festival of Quilts at the NEC. I've really enjoyed doing it so I think I will try dome more spheriecal quilts. Having the longarm really makes the quilting a lot easier.

There are more pictures on my blog for anyone who is interested

http://ferfab.blogspot.com

Hay Ferret:

I saw your globe, All we have to do is click on your web site at the bottom of you post.

Your globe is just wonderful, a work of art. How on earth did you quilt it ?

What made you think of doing a globe in 3d insted of a flat map ?

Your blog is also very cool :cool:

Good luck in the show, you really must win, can't see how you wouldn't !! ;)

Hi Gerry,

Firstly thanks for the support, it really helps keep me going.

just as well the link worked isn't it, I promise the picture came up in the preview.

If you look at "You've stomped Hawaii" on my blog there are pictures of it on the frame. As you can see there I quilted it as one big piece then cut the wedges and stitched it together. I did think about trying to quilt is after cutting but I came to my senses.

I wanted something that people would pay attention to and think about. I hope that they will spend some time looking at it, read the statement and then think about what humans are doing to the planet. I don't expect it to change the world but if one person remembers to turn off lights when they aren't using them, then I think it has done it's job.

It wasn't supposed to be in animal prints originally but I think they add the idea that not only is the planet getting stomped on, so are the animals.

I do fancy the ideas of doing some maps, they would just work so well as quilts. You can have the raised mountains as well as all the normal details.

Ferret

Ferret,

Love the globe! Must have been a challenge...but all of the work on your blog looks amazing. The social studies teacher at our school has the students make a globe...quite a feat for them...so cannot imagine doing it with cloth and a long arm! How did you do the footprints?

Will keep watching for your next creative idea. Thanks

Footprints, well. No giggling, I spent ages looking for a good footprint pattern then realised I had two of my own. So I painted one foot and made a print onto thick card. When dry I sut out the print with a knife to give me a stencil. When I transfered it to the quilt I had to allow for the seams as I crossed them. Then it is just a dense stipple to fill in.

I did feel very foolish for wasting so much time looking for a pattern when I had it all the time.

I think getting kids to make a globe is a great idea. I thought I had a good grasp of geography but cutting and sewing all the parts makes it all more obvious. For example I think of Madegascar as quite small but it is twice the size of the UK.

Ferret

Archived