Double knit border???

I have this bear paw quilt to do for a customer. She gave it to me at a guild meeting so I didn't take a good look--the borders and sashing parts of the ber's paw are double knit the rest is cotton!!!

Any hints in quilting this so I don't have a stretched out mess? I've had little sections of double knits in scrappy quilts before but never this. I haven't given her quilting suggestions for it yet. Thanks Jeri

Jeri,

I would call her and stress that you just now have had a chance to look at her quilt and just explain that with the LA machines that you can't guarantee that her borders aren't going to really really get wonky just by being put onto our machine, not to mention the tension we require.

They will pull so out of shape just being pinned to the leaders that I would be scared to touch it.

I would suggest that she change the borders and if she doesn't want to do that; suggest that you can do it (for a fee of course).

I think that this is one of those flags we all dread to see come across our machines, but you won't be happy and she will be very unhappy when she see the wonky waves.....if she doesn't want to change out the borders it might be best to just say I can't do it and walk away.

That's my 2 cents. ;)

One of the things that I inherited was a King size quilt that my Aunt made - 100% bullet proof polyester knit !!! 9 patches and plain blocks - but the colors are great. I thought about trying to quilt it on my LA (it's a tied quilt now) but after seeing this post and determining that my machine may have problems with the knit, I think I'll leave it alone. One thing about that quilt, you could take it to the north pole cause it certainly holds the heat in! :P All in all, I'm very glad to have it as there were no other quilters that I know of in my past and my Aunt was a do with what you got, or do without kinda gal. And to the best of my knowledge, this is the only one she made.

Jeri, I would have to agree with Bonnie and Patty JO. I don't know what kind of a mess might come off of the machine if you try to quilt it. I would call her and explain that upon further inspection you have found that the borders are not of the quality necessary for machine quilting. Offer her the chance to redo the borders or turn down the quilting job. If she insists, have her sign some kind of paper saying that you advised her not to quilt it on the LA and she wanted it done anyway.

Thanks for your replies, I've been away from my computer for a couple of days as I needed to stay at my Mom's--no internet. A Mille owner friend who checks this forum but never talks called me to let me know of your answers, she knew about the quilt and also knows the owner. I've been thinking about it and I do believe that I will return it to her with some suggestions of treating it like a T-Shirt quilt such as adding some iron on stabalizer to the knits and then a cotton border if she still wants me to quilt it. I've quilted other quilts for her.

Patty Jo, my DH has a mostly double knit quilt that was done in the 70's--the borders and backing are cotton and was machine quilted. The dang thing is really ugly but it wore like iron and is really warm--some of the quilting stitches have now broken and the cotton is worn but the poly hasn't changed. Came in handy when the power was out during an ice storm a few years ago :D...

Thanks for your replies, I've been away from my computer for a couple of days as I needed to stay at my Mom's--no internet. A Mille owner friend who checks this forum but never talks called me to let me know of your answers, she knew about the quilt and also knows the owner. I've been thinking about it and I do believe that I will return it to her with some suggestions of treating it like a T-Shirt quilt such as adding some iron on stabalizer to the knits and then a cotton border if she still wants me to quilt it. I've quilted other quilts for her.

Patty Jo, my DH has a mostly double knit quilt that was done in the 70's--the borders and backing are cotton and was machine quilted. The dang thing is really ugly but it wore like iron and is really warm--some of the quilting stitches have now broken and the cotton is worn but the poly hasn't changed. Came in handy when the power was out during an ice storm a few years ago :D...

Archived