mono-poly?

Okay, I am finally going to try mono-poly, but need some assistance! I have a spool and would like to know how to thread it from a horizontal spool holder. If I am running bottomline in my bobbin, do I loosen the bobbin tension also? I know I will have to loosen top tension, but messing too much with tension scares me. If I loosen too much and get my Millie out of whack, will it be easy to tweak back into shape? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Lori

I don't loosen my bobbin, haven't needed to yet. I also was concerned trying something new but I was thrilled that I had no problems. I only had to loosen my top tension a turn or two, followed the same thread path (started from the top of the machine where the horizontal spool is attached) except where I usually put thread thru three holes I only used one. I got that advise on this forum. I am doing SID with mono now and no issues. Best wishes!

I thread the Monopoly from the spool (feeding from the top of the spool--don't know why though!) to one hole in the first three-hole guide. Then thread as usual to the second three-hole. Only thread through the last hole in that guide so it feeds directly to the tensioner. After threading the needle, pull the thread through the needle towards the back. Let go of the thread and look for "curls" above the needle eye--if the released thread has curling, back off the tension until most of that is eliminated. It will be loose. Bottom tension loose as well--I gauge down to about 13 to 15 on my Towa gauge. Stitch a sample run off the side and tweak if you need to.

As for getting your tension back--no problems with that. Thread any other thread, tighten the tension until the thread doesn't move through the disks at all. Then loosen until the U-shaped tensioner spring is deflected from a resting position of 11 o'clock to 9 o'clock---and the thread runs smoothly through the needle. That's a good starting point for any size regular thread.

Good luck with the Monopoly--it works well and has many applications.:)

Archived