European quilting info

I recently taught a beginning quilting student from Germany, who is visiting her sister here. She is looking for a good basic quilting book, preferably in German, but English will do, but which has measurements in the metric system, and uses tools and materials she will be able to find at home. Any suggestions? I've sent her to Claudia Pfeil's website, but I did not see any books there (mind you I do not read German, so I might have missed them).

Also, any quilt shops near near home, in Northern Germany near the Dutch border? Places she can shop online & the shipping would not be too bad? Upcoming shows in Europe? She is very enthusiastic and an excellent seamstress, so I'm thinking we have a good new quilter here. Thanks for your help.

Catherine,

Since Claudia is located not too far from the Dutch border, I'd definitely send your this German lady to her.

You are welcome to provide her with my contact information and Internet address as well (www.creativebits.biz). There are some good quilting books available in German. But I tend to bring the German quilting magazines to my German beginner students' attention as each issue these magazines has a center section covering the basic how-to's including measurements for HST and QST and the like...

Hope this helps some.

Birgit

Where does she live? I live in the the Northern part of the Netherlands. We have here a in this area a few very great quiltshops.

Including what people say the biggest and another one the most colorful of the Netherlands.

On the site of Arnout Cosman she can find many shops in Europa. http://www.cosman.nl/maps/europe_nl.php.

I have a very good beginners book in Dutch but I don't think it is translated in german or englisch.

Although we have the metric system in Europe for quilting we also use the inch system. I have all my rulers in cm and inches.

There is a publisher who is translating quiltbooks into dutch who is also recalculating the inches to cm. Then we always get really silly measurements like 8.6 cm what we don't have on our quilting rulers. So in the end the end it does not fit.

Catherine,

Here is a link to the book "Das große Buch von Patchwork, Quilt und Applikation: Alle Techniken - Schritt für Schritt" on the German Amazon website: http://www.amazon.de/gro%C3%9Fe-Buch-Patchwork-Quilt-Applikation/dp/3866309341/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

If she is looking for a book this should be a good choice, however I don't own it myself. And I find that everybody is looking for other things in books.

For a less costly solution, I'd recommend that she gets the current issue of "Patchwork Magazin" or "Lena Patchwork" at her local newsstand once she returns home. This magazine is stuffed with projects for all skill levels, has the said instructional center portion and contains several pages of quilt shop addresses sorted by zip codes.

Let me know if she wants to know more.

Birgit

Archived