top thread breakage and huge skipped stitches!!

Hi, I am Nancy and am brand new to the list (like 5 minutes ago!) If this subject has been throughly covered I apologize!

Help help help! I am having serious top thread breakage and skipped stitches. I have been quilting on my Millennium for 3 years so I am not a "newbie" but I am stumped! This is what I have tried:

the timing looks perfect

I've tried a new bobbin case

new bobbins

rethread bobbins

new needles

different top threads

pig tails are fine

We got a new hook assembly a couple of months ago and haven't had any damage or anything unusual since then.

I'm not going too fast (the needle on the stitch regulator portion of the dial is between 11 and 12 but I'm not using stitch regulator)

I put a new check spring in about 2 months ago, the first one ever needed.

Something else, when I stop stitching the wheel often jerks until I put my hand on it to stop it. Is this a timing problem or something related to my thread and stitch problem??? ARGH! Any help I can get from an APQS pal would be so much appreciated.

God Bless, Nancy

Nancy,

Have you tried taking the cover off the front of the machine (take the left side panel off) to see if there is thread wrapped around the wheel inside? I also had my wheel moving and uptake lever bobbing after being stopped. I fixed this by opening the top cover and turning the screw (so it goes faster) for the needle up/down stitch.

Just some thoughts.

Another Nancy :)

Hi Nancy,

If you are using a pre-wound bobbin, the yo-yo test should drop about 2-3inches, if it is a metal bobbin you want it to drop 5-6inches. Have you tried different thread? Loosen the top tension and see if it will work, you can loosen it to the point of loops, just to see if it will sew. if not, there has to be a burr cutting that thread, somewhere! Make sure it is not in the needle plate (in the center hole) if all those things check out, then I would say it has to be a thread issue!

Good Luck

Let me know

Connie

APQS Service

Thanks Connie and Nancy for your input. After the most frustrating time I've had yet with my machine we finally have the problem solved...oh my goodness. My husband and I both thought the timing looked right on but he decided to try moving the hook closer to the needle and it was just what we needed. I don't know why it would have gotten out of sink because I didn't run over a pin or anything out of the ordinary.

And Nancy, thanks for the tip about the jerking wheel, you were right. I opened the side and there was a lot of thread wrapped around the wheel. It still jerks once in a while but seems better.

Thanks so much!

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a different kind of needle! My skipping and breaking are history! I talked to Mike at APQS about this and I have learned something big today. I was using a Groz Beckart needle when I was having trouble, and when I changed to an "MR 4.0", I didn't have trouble. Mike explained that the MR needles have a bump just above the eye of the needle on the front side. He said this bump, among other benefits, allows less than perfect timing to stitch a good stitch. The needles without the bump will work in the APQS machines, but have less tolerance for less-than perfect timing. These machines are timed to work with the MR needles. They are in yellow packaging and say Made in Germany. I'm certainly a believer now and use them from now on. I'm sure I don't understand all of the reasons they work, but the proof I saw today is enough for me to clear out the Innovas and Groz Beckart's I've got.

Teri

• 1 month later...

Woops! Forgot to leave my message in last posting! What an airhead I am!

I really am a newbie! I've had an Ultimate ll quilting machine for about 3 years now, it was inherited, so I'm kind of winging it on my own. At least until I discovered this site about 5 min. ago! I've been having problems with my tension, looping on the bottom and breaking threads, but after reading all of the postings, I'm going to try a few of the tips, and hopefully get back in business! Thanks to everyone who contributes advice and information to this site!

Archived