another quilt looking for quilting ideas

This is a quilt I made for our retiring pastor and wife. It is for their king sized bed as you can tell from me hanging from the railing to hold it for the picture. I will be using George to quilt it.

The center blocks are about 18 inches made from 4 9-inch quadrants rotated to make the star in the center. The strips are 3 inches.

post--13461904820917_thumb.jpg

The outside borders and the corner. The last border and the inner frame border are made from the fabric that was used for the curtains in their room. It really makes a nice finish to the whole quilt.

The blue/cranberry border are the separate blocks that were made with the angle cut at the wrong direction, so when they would be put together in 4's the blue became the star instead of the cranberry. So I took them all apart down to the quadrant size and like the way they formed the border. Much better than trying to make the stars work. The bottom corner block is the design my son told me to do to fill that area in. I like what he comes up with, maybe he will start designing quilts in his younger old age! We can only hope.

post--13461904821297_thumb.jpg

LOL, yes I am, madelyn.. The only thing I've come up with is something with curves to offset the points and square corners, but heaven only knows what.. Maybe a wreath of small feathers, or a daisy type flower in the blue patches, rows of angled lines in the white and colored pieces with the joining seam.. match the joining seam.. not too close/dense. Maybe some echoed stars or feather flowers in the dark stars.. I'm just so totally stumped on ideas, these probably are the total opposite of what should be done to further "finish" the quilt..

Sometimes I see the dark stars as the prominant feature and other times I don't see them at first.. a pretty quilt.

Good luck on ideas.. I'm surprised so many others haven't responded. I didn't get one idea on mine, so gave up.

Hi, Madelyn,

Do you want to do custom on this quilt? I see the cranberry stars as the focal point, too. So I think I'd do some sort of feather in the stars, start from the center and feather each point. Use cranberry thread in the stars. then I'd do a small fill in the blue and cream to kind of push it to the back. I'd use a cream that really blends for the fill.

Be sure to post pictures when it's done!

Thanks Rita, I too have had a hard time getting responses sometimes. Must be a busy time for everyone, and I just seem to make quilts that stump others for ideas!

Lisa, Nice ideas, I will need to think about some fill thoughts. I haven't done much of those, so my mind is still blinking on them.

Keep the ideas coming, I haven't started the actual quilting yet.

Archived