pricing--piecing

I do not really want to piece a friends or any other one's quilts and then quilt them. I just want to piece my own and quilt ALL. However, I have had 3 requests in the last two weeks.

So, if I should decide to do this--how do you price for piecing??? I am not a fast worker but do do a nice job. I would appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks!

I have heard it being done two ways - $20.00 to $30.00 an hour. Giving them a rough guesstimate up front for the time, but leaving it open to adjust.

Or similar to quilting - so much per square inch - starting at 3 cents per square inch and up depending on the pattern, applique, etc.

I will try to find the thread - we did a complete quilt and had others estimate as well on this forum a few months ago.

Jane

Hi Suzie,

If you don't want to build a scratch quilt for others, find someone who pieces well and is willing to take this on. Then have them hand off to you for the quilting.

Search the archives here and you will see many recommendations not to get into this.

First--a non-quilter will NEVER believe how much fabric costs these days.

Second--they don't want to pay a nice hourly wage for the piecing. They figure since you love to quilt, you shouldn't be paid much to do it!

Third--the vast amount of time taken up by all the decisions necessary is never compensated for. A non-quilter will want their hand held from pattern selection all the way to the quilt shop, with hours of comparisons and second-guessing.

If your time can be better compensated for at the longarm, stick with that!

Build quilts for those you love and let your friends find another person to piece for them and you can have the fun of the quilting!

Just my view of the world.;)

I've spent hours and hours hand-holding customers through the decision process and educational process of picking out a pattern and fabric (not to mention the batting and thread choices), meeting them at a quilt shop (gas at $$ per mile X about 25 miles), to have them decide to go to Walmart instead. I wish I had the nerve to bill them a "consultation fee" like an attorney would. Fifteen minute phone call...$75.00! :P

Archived