breaking thread

Every once in a while I have one of those days when nothing seems right with the world, blah blah blah, enough of that though....

So, I figure ~ do some quilting, everyone is out of the house for the day, I'll get the quilt that HAS to be done this week out of the way.

Well, doesn't the thread give me problems every step of the way. I have the same problem from time to time, and I've never been able to figure out what causes it. The top thread is pulled down into the bobbin area and breaks. I'm left with a gap in stitching anywhere from a couple of stitches to 2" long. The bobbin thread just runs from one end of the gap to the other where the stitching picks up again. I don't know if this sounds familiar to anyone. I was using a panto and it happens a few times with each row.

I swear I think I've tried everything...looked for burrs, changed needle, it happens with different threads ~ today was Bottom Line, etc.......

Just got the quilt off the machine...re-stitched the gaps and hope the customer doesn't think it's a mess!!!

Sorry for all the venting but I just had to!!!!!:)

Sandra,

This is very familiar to me. I could stitch, then my top thread would break and then about 4 stitches later would pickup againg and start stitching. Come to find out my hopping foot was too low, almost no clearance between foot and throat plate. Also, my timing was off. Once those adjustments were made I have not had thread breaking at all. Now I love quilting. But for a while, I was ready to throw this machine as far as I could.

Hi Sandra. This has happened to me several times over the years. I have a system that I use. First, I check the tension. Then change the needle and check it for proper placement and to ensure it's not a bad needle - I run the tip of my fingernail over the point. I did have a bad pack once...that was a major grrrr! If thread is still breaking, then I clean the hook assemble, sand it down and check for burrs again, then clean again and oil. If none of these things seem to help, I change the bobbin case. Works almost every single time. Only twice have I had to reset the timing. I run two machines and in five years I've only reset timing twice...so not too bad eh? Seriously though, I find that as soon as my tension starts to change on it's own -- halfway through a quilt, using same threads etc., then I just change my bobbin case and it solves everything. I must change them about every three months or so. Hope this helps,

Sue Schellenberg

Alberta, Canada

Well, I just thought I would give an update....

Last week my DH and I went at the machine. It seemed like the pointy part of the bobbin case was going through a little high behind the scarf of the needle. We also cleaned it til it looked brand new.

Things have been flying ever since! Today I finally quilted my son's university quilt (No pressure, still have 5 days!!!) I usually have issues using different specialty threads. Today I tried Superiors Polyquilter for the first time. How nice it looks. The first row, turns out I had the tension too loose (loopies underneath a little), but then things went smoothly.

Anyway, I'm tired now, but satisfied....:)

thanks again for all your help...

Sandra

Archived