How to load with prairie points

I have a large quilt top with prairie points on 3 sides.

Any suggestions / tips on how to load (I use zippers).

I was going to pin to the edge of quilt and fold the points in (towards the quilt) while I rolled up. Is that right? it will create bulk at the ends, but cannot avoid it.

Is there a better way?

I've only dealt with small quilts (lap and twins) with prairie points and I have always done the quilting method where you sew the three layers together around the outside and then flip it right side out when you are done...then to be stitched in the ditch or tied.

I have never seen a Prairie Pointed quilt done on a long arm but I would think you would need to leave enough room on the edges inside of your last borders so that you could flip the points out and then use the backing by turning it under and matching the edges and hand sew with a blind hem stitch.

Just my guess...let us know what you decide to do.

Simply float the top.

What I mean is do not zip your TOP. Do what you do normally. Stitch your line at top over batting and pin top evenly across the top. Let your top hang with batting. You do have to manually keep it in line. I like to use pins but many do not. Pin if it is you first time to do this. It does keep everything straight. I pin the layers across very close the top leader this way the body doesn't work its way up and create too much give.

Remember to leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch from edge as the Backing has to be turned and hand stitched instead of binding. I wouldn't stitch right up to the prairie points. Just pin them out of your way and don't get too close to SEAM line. They need to be turned under 1/4 inch with backing to hand stitch closed.

Good Luck. Someone probly has a photo of floating.

Search floating top if you need more instructions. It has been discussed here many time.

I'm new and someone may have a better suggestion.

Archived