Need Some Advice on Pattern Boards

I have a couple questions regarding using pattern boards and I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I currently don't have any of the long boards, just a few of the individual blocks. Anyway, I just noticed that R&S has a sale going on right now so I was thinking maybe it's time to invest in a set of boards.....but what I'm wondering is, how do you make sure that you keep your rows spaced the same when you advance your quilt? With pantographs, it's easy but with the design boards, there are no extra rows to drop you needle in before you roll your quilt. So I would really appreciate some feedback! I am planning on getting 3 or 4 of the same design so that I don't have to play "leap frog".....once I make up my mind! ;)

As always, many thanks for your help. :) :)

Marilyn,

It depends on which boards you get. Some of the boards have a hole that you would line up for the next row. Not sure if this is the right way but it works for me. If the board doesn't have the hole then I draw a line across the top of the board right along the design, for instance the swirls. I put my needle down in the lowest point of stitcing done. I then raise the stylus and forward the quilt until I'm close to the top line. Once I'm close I lower my stylus and get the stylus lined up exactly on that line. Now I'm good to go for the next row. I hope that makes sense to you.

Archived