Question about Ultimate I motor

Hello to all,

I have a used ultimate 1. I have been using it for almost four years now. It works great for what I need it for (pantographs with the speed dial around 7 to 8)...but, it has a nagging problem. It has the external motor mounted with four screws with brackets to the top back of the machine. The problem is only obvious if I am trying to stitch at a really slow speed.. The motor will start cutting in and out (on and off)

This is what my husband (electrical engineer) thinks is the problem. The encoder wheel attached to the motor shaft which turns with the belt is moving/vibrating at the lower speeds to the point of shifting the encoder window enough to signal the machine to turn off then on off on....etc.

So my question is are there any modifications or mounting secrets we could use to stop the motor skipping? My husband says it is like it is setting up a harmonic at the lower speeds?? He tried putting some little plastic spacers under the motor but the problem came back. I am going to try to post some pictures.

Thanks so much,

Judy

I am actually wondering if the motor brushes are worn out. That would account for it wanting to cut out at lower speeds..and startup would be rather difficult also. Check both sides of the motor for 2 large plastic or possibly metal screws. They will be on opposite sides of the motor. Odds are they are worn down. If so, then order a new set of motor brushes and replace them when they come in. let us know if that helps.

I would have him check the motor brushes inside the motor. If they are getting too small then the motor will cut out at slower speeds because of the arc or sparking going on inside of the motor. The brushes are easy to change and are a whole lot cheaper than replacing the entire motor!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestion of replacing the motor brushes. I ordered brushes from APQS, installed them last weekend, and quilted an entire quilt yesterday without any skipping of the motor -- even on the very low speeds! We looked at the brushes and to our eyes they didn't really look worn but figured what the heck - let's try it and it worked!

Judy

I changed mine for different reasons, but if the encoder wheel goes on the fritz the motor will most likely take off on warp speed. I was told this by a very close friend at APQS who works in sales. He's full of information and knows these machine better than the back of his hand. If I get stumped on anything, which doesn't happen too offen, I usually call him for advise. Isn't that right Mark......... zeke................

Archived