Birds Nests on Back sporadically

CindyT

I've never had this problem that I can remember. I'm getting birds nests on the back sporadically when I am going diagonally when I slow up to move my ruler to the next space to quilt and when I start and stop on the diagonal. I've cleaned, oiled, adjusted tension (tension looks good for everything else) but I just can't figure out why this is happening. I have a thinner thread on top than on bottom. Curves and quilting continuously does not create the problem. Any ideas on what can be causing this or how I can fix it (besides don't quilt diagonally)? I don't have access to threads easily and I'm having to use what I have...of course it's a rush job. Argh!!! Please help. Can you tell I'm desperate by now? Thanks in advance for any advice besides chocoate, dark chocolate and more chocolate (cuz I don't drink alcohol and don't wanna start).

Cindy,

It sounds to me like it is the bobbin case or spring in the bobbin case. Seems that you would get that problem if the bobbin spins. Why it would happen on the diagonal has me a little perplexed though. Maybe it has to do with needle flex. Maybe try a bigger needle? Did you check to make sure you don't have fuzz under the finger on the bobbin case? I can't think of anything else.

Thanks for the response, Heidi. I took a 2 hour break for supper, went back out and the thread fixing fairy must have visited while I was away because it didn't do it except a few times then for the next two hours of quilting. I just don't get it. Nothing changed from when I left the machine to when I went back out there. Temperature was steady at 60 degrees in the studio. I'm buffaloed, but when something like this happens it sure takes the confidence a person has in their quilting down to zilch. I still have a lot of frogging to do.

Sorry for your problems, Cindy.

I agree with Heidi that your bobbin is spinning a bit instead of stopping when you do. Pry the fingers of the check spring out a bit and see if that helps at all. I am glad to read that the thread fairies came to get you back on track!:D

Archived