how do you schedule your time?

I set little goals for myself that I try and reach. I'm a stay at home mom with a 1 year old and a 17 year old. We also live on a farm and my husband works out of town during the week, so I stay pretty busy. I set little goals, reach them and then go do a chore that needs to be done around the house,ie: laundry, dishes, sweeping, etc..., then, I set another small goal. That way I feel like I'm accomplishing quilting or sewing and my usual, not so fun stuff. It works for me. Goodluck!!

Hi Treeper

I'm like you, I find it difficult to find the time for quilting, especially since I have a 40 hour per week job. I found that my best ally on getting my sewing done is the "off" button on the television and the "on" button on my radio.

I usually have 2-3 projects going at any given time, piecing a baby quilt, quilting a twin, cutting placemats for my inventory to sell. What i do is decide that 7-9:30pm is my sewing time and then slot X amount of time for each project. None may get finished that day but progress is being made on each. I also try to make sure that something is done to the point of needing hand sewing (edges) for me to do on my lunch break or on the rare time that I do get captivated by the television for an hour...I just can't have my hands idle.

It comes down to discipline...and look for the little victories each day and put the little failures in the past. Each day will get a little better.

Good luck.

Debbie

Quilted-Joy

Guest Linda S

I am the world's worst procrastinator and lately have been a real cyberslacker -- surfing around on the computer when I should be sewing! I got another alarm clock that I use on the weekdays. It is set for 7:00 p.m. When I get home from work, make dinner, do dishes, etc, I have until then to goof off. Then I have to go upstairs when the alarm goes off (especially because the alarm is upstairs!!). Also, once I open that door, my kitty Vincent goes up there. If I don't follow immediately, he howls his fool head off till it get up there! He's adorable.

Linda

Thanks for all your info. I have turned off the tv and I work really hard at not surfing the web or playing my favorite computer game. I have started having a weekly meeting with myself away from home. I review all my projects and schedule when I expect to get what done. The thing I really need to learn is to tell my husband I can't go with him every time he askes. He works from home also. But how do you turn down lunch with no kids....thanks Teresa;)

I have to agree, discipline is the key to getting this to work. I have a friend who is totally disorganized in most every aspect of her life, and discipline is the huge lacking in her life.

When I was working 40+ hours a week, I would quilt in the morning before I went to work and then in the evenings and on Sundays. I would also take stuff to work with me to do on my lunch hour. Now mind you my DH does not come home from work until 11p and we have no small children.

Boundaries, discpline, goals and focus are the keys to getting your time in the sewing room.

I could go on, but guess what I am not doing..........

Blessings and hugs

Years ago I took a time management class that had a bunch of lesson tapes to listen to. Now when I really have to get something done, I put on one of those Brian Tracy tapes and the backgound music is all I need to keep on track and get the task finished. (I've never noticed any drooling:P)

It is interesting to listen to time management issues.

I recently completed my Master's Degree on line.

I purchase my Mill. in August, 2004, and I work at UPS as a Manager for 50 + hours per week. I litteraly have to put everything off until the weekend. That includes practice.

So far it has worked for me. Until I can retire in two years, I will have to deal with it.

Barb:P

You know, it's really weird. I have a CD/Tape/Radio boom box up in the quilting studio. Twice now it has turned on all by itself, as though it was telling me that it was time to get up there and start working! Except --- last night it came on at 2:30 in the morning and I had to climb the stairs to go shut it off! :o It's getting a little spooky!

Linda

Well, you guys think you have it bad, I work full time at an axle assembly and logistics factory as a quality manager, then for 2 to 3 days out of the week I work at a Kroger in the butcher shop. Thank goodness I have no children, becuse I need time to sleep, which by the way is being spent here posting. Hey try listening to some clasical music and pretend your conducting with the long arm. I made a neet design while practicing and listening to Holst- The Planets. Its little less scary anyway.:D Paul

Oh yeh- In case there are any Brasilians out there, Picania is the cap of the sirloin untrimmed. FYI

Archived