Big table problem....

I am having a BIG problem that looks to be a table situation with my 17 mo. old Liberty on a 12 ft table.

I hope I can get further help. Side to side I have noticed a sluggish spot when I am quilting. It is near the center, but slightly to the right. I have noticed it becoming worse over the last 6 months, and now that I have started trying to fix it, it's awful. I am okay if I am going fast, doing a free motion allover. But when I slow down to do any kind of custom, I am totally out of control.

I spoke to Amber on Friday and she gave me some things to try, and I am afraid it is worse. There seemed to be a dip in the rail (hard to tell, really) so I tightened the bolt under the truss-no help. Then I pulled the machine to one side and loosened all the carriage bolts holding the rails stable (5 of them) and then tightened them all as similarly as possible. Now the spot is really noticeable. I mean, I CANNOT DO ANY CUSTOM TILL I GET THIS FIXED. Everytime I try to finess in that area, I have to rip.:o

Please help. If you've ever heard of the wits end, I am there...........

Hi Caron

The table and parts of the table are covered by the warranty but it seems like just an adjustment may be necessary.

Do you have a spirit level? You haven't mentioned that you have put the spirit level across the table front to back, it may be that it is slightly higher on one side. Put the machine head right at one end of the table or the other before you use the spirit level.

Once you've done that, then place the spirit level on the right of centre - see if its level, then the left, see if its level - do this on both the front and back of the table. I just bought a digital spirit level which is so much more accurate than a bubble, maybe you have one or a friend with one.

Also check the levelling roller to make sure the clearance between it and the machine is equal all along the table.

Good luck.

Sue in Australia

Hi, Caron! This may have nothing really to do with your problem, but this is what happened to me some time back. I also have a 12' Liberty and I began noticing that at a certain spot it got more and more difficult to make round smooth curves, the machine became more and more difficult to move at that spot. My circles would be square no matter how much I tried to manhandle the machine when I would get to that spot. Anyway, in desperation I eventually checked my wheels and found that the bolts beneath a couple of the wheels that have the cams had come loose. When I tightened those bolts up, the trouble disappeared. This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it just strikes me as similar because I only had problems at one spot on the table, the rest of the area of the table the machine moved fine.

Caron,

I had a similar experience to Lynn. I took my whole table apart, retightened all the bolts, releveled it -- no help. My husband looked at the front wheels on the machine, and discovered they were "wobbly", so he tightened a little screw that needed an allen wrench on the side of the cam, and tightened the bottom gold colored bolt (not too tight, or the wheels won't turn), and my problem was solved. I was going crazy like you, as the problem kept getting worse.

This sounds like what Lynn experienced. So just check -- it can't hurt.

Hi Caron,

Not sure all what Amber told you to do, but check and see if the bad spot is near one of the table cross tubes that holds the rails together. If so, loosen the big nuts on the outside of the rails and move the machine over the spot. Retighten the nuts, but not too tight and see if that helps. Sometimes if the cross tubes are too tight or come loose, it will cause a problem the the rails and movement of the machine.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Take care,

As helpful as everyone was, I figured it out on my own! Over the 1.5 years I have had the machine, the bolts on the near left side (as you are looking at the back of the machine) had worked loose. These are the ones that hold the rail to the black side leg assembly. When the machine rode over the left side, the rails would torque ot twist just a bit. When I tightened them and re-leveled, it was FINE!!!

I recommend that you check these bolts and tighten them if loose at all. I imagine mine started a bit loose and then worked themselves almost off.

Thanks Mark and Amber for trying to talk me off the ledge so many times! LOL

Archived