Bobbin Case Tension Gauge

Jack5

Carolyn - bobbins are funny little things. I've come to notice over the past several weeks that they are all slightly different. I've had some troubles with ones that fit too tightly on my bobbin winder, some that are a bit too loose. This causes quite a bit of difference in how tightly the thread is wound onto those bobbins and, therefore, it causes the bobbin thread tension to change from bobbin to bobbin, even with the same kind of thread! :o Each time I pop a new bobbin into the bobbin case, I put in in the tension gauge, make sure the tension is correct, and then put the bobbin in the machine. So far, lovely stitches, no birds nests, and all is well. I would not want to be without the tension gauge.

Linda

Hi Carolyn,

The bobbin tension gauge is great for those who don't feel comfortable doing the yo-yo test to see if the tension is correct. It is very important to have the bobbin tension correct in order to get your upper tension correct!

If you feel comfortable doing the yo-yo then don't worry about getting one!

2-3inches for a pre-wound and 5-6 for a metal bobbin. We do have the gauges here at the factory if you want one!

Hope this helps

Connie

APQS Service

800-426-7233 ext.6

Your top tension is independent of the bobbin tension. Depending on what type of thread you are using, you'll want to adjust your top tension accordingly. I just give my top thread a nice steady pull after it has gone through the needle. If it's a good feel with a good tension, I'm happy. If it's coming through much to fast and loose, I tighten it up. If it feels much to tight, I loosen it up a bit. Connie's right -- if you're comfortable with the drop test, you don't need a tension gauge. If you're lazy like me, the tension gauge is easier! ;)

Linda

I have the stand-alone bobbin winder which works great, except I do have one problem. The BOBBINS! Some of them fit so tightly on the little arm that I can barely get them on and off, others fit so loosely that they sort of spin and don't easily fill with thread. What in the world is up with that? Is there a way to get the loose bobbins to stay better? I have literally had to pry bobbins off the little arm with a screwdriver when they are on there too tightly. Does this happen to anyone else?

Linda

Yes, I have a bag of bobbins that I can't use because they are either too loose or too tight. I called APQS and the lady told me to adjust the metal prong that the bobbins slide onto but I'd need to do it with almost every bobbin I wind. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I just bought about 20 more bobbins but at least 1/3 of them don't fit well and, therefore, don't wind well.

Archived