Need advise on first classes

Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and am ready to jump in! I don't have a machine yet, but am going in that direction. In the meantime I'm doing my reasearch! The Houston show is coming up and I've scheduled myself for 5 classes. Well, several are lecture demos so I can watch the experts! This may sound like a dumb question but remember I'm like a pre-newbie! We are supposed to bring paper and pencil. What is the best thing to bring? A sketch pad? Plain old note pad? I was thinking sketch pad because I can draw or take notes either one on that. I've been quilting since 1985 but it's always been handquilting, and just a hobby. (hobby as in if I'm sitting down I'm quilting...) I've never taken classes at all, don't belong to a guild. I'm fortunate in that my mother has always sewn, owned her own fabric, store, taught classes, etc, so I guess classes have never been a thing for me. Now I have LA fever! I can't wait to get started, (this is blowing my mother's mind that I actually signed up for classes! HA!) Any advise would be appreciated!

Either a sketch pad or a pad of lined paper...I have used both...just something that has a firm surface. Many of the class rooms just have chairs and no tables to write on.

Have a great time...you will get so much information...just don't feel overwhelmed as it all makes sense over time.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I was in the same boat last show in KC. Was afraid I would forget what they showed. So took my camcorder and they let me tape it. So when I got home if I forgot something I had the orginal to look back on to get it right. I know its hard to draw and tape it all at the same time. Maybe you can find someone to tape it while you listen and draw.

Archived