Art quilt - pieced on my Discovery

I've signed up for a monthly challenge and for the first one I decided I would piece the quilt on the longarm. The piece isn't as good as I would have liked but I thought you guys might be interested as all the sewing was done on the Discovery. Full story with pictures on my blog. The quilt is about 11"x15".

Ferret

Hi Ferret - I love the colors that you have chosen and I think I know the technique that you have used. Wonderful and bold for you to accept a challenge like this one. Is the 2nd picture of the back? It looks like you have used a lot of thread to hold all of those little pieces. A labor of love. Another great quilt for you.

The second picture is the wadding before the fabrics were added. I painted the wadding and used it as a foundation for everything else. In the finished quilt you can still see the wadding. The piecing is very similar to ordinary foundation piecing but you are sewing through the wadding and backing as your foundation. I've been thinking abou this for a while. I want to try making a bed quilt in the same way.

Ferret

My brain never stops. I've got something planned from a friends piano (I was helping them move). I've been photographing lots of walls and doorways, I even have pictures from tiles in a public toilet, it's scary really. I have far more ideas than I will ever be able to make. The nice thing about doing themes is I do use some of the more interesting ideas.

Ferret

A squishy is a surprise package that squishes. Usually fabric or threads from a like minded friend. There are groups online where you can sign up for secret pals who will send you squishies.

I've been trying to remeber to use the English quilting terms rather than American ones, as it tends to confuse people when I teach. Personally I am so used to reading both I don't even notice most of the time.

Ferret

Archived