Question on doing and edge to edge on tshirt quilt?

I had a customer bring me a tshirt quilt that is done in the "Too Cool Tshirt" method, which uses no interfacing/stablizer on the back of the shirts.

There is a cotton temporary "binding" sewn around the edges of the quilt so it doesn't stretch on the edges.

My question is, can I do an edge to edge design on this without it distorting, or will the fabric shift too much? I was going to use my Circle Lord Swirls on it, so I could come around to the front periodically and check that it's going well, but I told her I wouldn't attempt it without finding out if anyone had any experience with this first.

In the "Too Cool Tshirt" book, it says edge to edge designs will distort the top since there's no interfacing.

Anyone? I appreciate any and all suggestions!

I wonder if they spray-baste the bejeebers out of the top before they quilt it? They is no way to keep the shirts flat without stabilizing them--especially if you want to quilt it from the back side. You notice in the photo on the site that the young lady is quilting from the front side. And they advertise that each block is quilted to match the design on the block.

So I'm at a loss as to how they are doing this. The quilts look fine except for a bit of warping here and there. Doesn't look like they are using a heavy batting at all.

Another question--where did your customer find this "too cool" technique? It seems that the site-owners will take already-cut blocks and full shirts, but they say nothing about accepting a pieced t-shirt top. They do the joining as part of their process.

My advice is to either pass or try a sample before you accept the job. And I believe it will never be stable enough on the frame to use a pattern board or panto--too many variables beside the stretchy fabric issue.

Let us know what you decide.

Okay guys, thank you. I sure don't want to ruin her top, she's my best local customer!

I posted the link for the "Too Cool" technique at the top. I actually have the book, I love her tshirt quilts. I want to try one myself without stablizer and quilt it with a panto, but I don't want my first attempt on a customer quilt if my chance at success isn't good.

Archived