Loops on back

Hi All!

Hope you can help me with a problem I am having. I have just taken a quilt off Millie & have discovered loops (upper thread) on the back of the quilt. The loops are small & happening randomly but always at a point or intersection. Eg: a V or point of a heart. Usually an inward point. It is the top thread that is looping through.

The quilt started out fine but somewhere along the way something went wrong. My tension is great & everything looks good on the front. I am using So Fine & Bottom Line.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

I truly believe your top thread is too loose. Perhaps something happened with the thread path such as the thread popped out of the tension disc or one of the pigtail guides.

Did you try completely removing all of the thread and threading it again? If you did, then perhaps double check that your needle is in all the way, and not put in backwards? I would also double check your bobbin case to make sure it was in the right direction, that the bobbin thread was wound properly? A poorly wound bobbin could also be a problem.

I would start over from square 1 and use a new bobbin and rethread machine, check needle, make sure bobbin assembly is clean and well oiled. Good luck!

Shana, as always, gives good advice. I had this problem a lot and would not believe it was tension as it would start out great. But for me that is what it was (tightening always fixes it). I think sometimes lint gets in somewhere and changes the tension...or something. Now I am diligent about checking the bottom with a mirror and flashlight (shine the flashlight on the mirror and it reflects the light just where you want it. I check the bottom every row and again if I have a stop for some reason. I also blow out my bobbin area with my air compressor every bobbin change. Good luck....

Archived