Inexpensive Dry Erase Board Tip

I have posted this idea several times before, but for those who haven't seen it: If you want an inexpensive dry erase board for your freehand practice....

Go to Lowes (or any other home improvement store) and buy a 4 x 8 ft. sheet of bathroom wall board (I think it is called masonite board). It is white, without any texture, costs about $18, and makes a perfect dry erase board. I have a piece cut to 4 x 6 ft. mounted on my studio wall. I simply attached a nice wood trim around the edges and it looks great!!

This is the board that I cut into 18 x 24 inch sections for the people who take my freehand classes ( for both longarm and domestic free-motion) to practice the designs on. I use the large dry-erase board mounted on my studio wall to decide which quilting designs would look best in certain blocks, in addition to auditioning new freehand techniques-- before actually sewing on a quilt. It also really helps to be able to "show" a customer what type of quilting design you can put on their quilt top too (just draw the block pattern in one color and the quilting design in another to see how it will look)!!:P:):D

Cool idea Tina.

I do use my Eraser Board everyday. I even have one at work and it is in my hands as we speak.

The guys walk by and comment" Are you quilting again in your head?" lol

I love the new fine eraser pens too.

I'm going to look into your idea for my wall. Thanks again.

Oh, I love this idea. I wish I had room to put something on a wall but since my "studio" is in my dining room/living room and I have limited wall space since I still have some of the living room wall unit against the wall, I can't do this - my design wall is actually the small open area I have to walk on. I call this my "design floor."

I do have a small white board I use, but I really like the idea of having a large unit on the wall (reminds me of my teaching days and using the "black board.";)

Archived