need advise/comparison on batting

I am making a twin quilt for my 3 year old grandson who lives in CA. What are the pros and cons of the wool, silk or QD Green batting. Can you give me any comparisons between the different products of Tuscany and Quilter's Dream of those listed above? The prices are similar in my area, but I want to know how the sleeping weight of each feels, and the trap the heat or keep cool in the summer compare.

Thanks.

Guest Linda S

For a small child, I'd use QD Dream Angel. It's got a nice loft (not too thin, not too thick), is cozy but not too hot, and is specially made to be flame retardant (it doesn't contain chemicals though). After that, my selection would be wool.

Thanks, one of the reasons I asked is that one shop near me has QD and I might have to order the Tuscany. So the gas and the shipping might cancel each other out. Just called my favorite shop, they can order and I can visit--win, win on both counts there!

Does any one have a preference for one brand over the other? What is the difference that you see between the two brands?

Guest Linda S

QD Wool will be loftier. Not a lot, but it has a bit of a higher "poof" to it. It is more substantial when you're handling it as you quilt. The Hobbs Tuscany is very nice and, since it comes in a rectangular package instead of the roll-type packages of their heirloom batting, it's not all stretched and thin when you get it out of the package. I like them both.

Archived