Canvas Leader question

My Pick-up Leader Has gotten ripped beyond repair. I have another Canvas leader, but it isn't the Main Pick-up one (I don't even know if I have the right verbage here). How are the old ones removed and the new ones put on? I know it is Saturday but I'm leaving on Monday so any advise will be appreciated.

Guest Linda S

Not sure if it's the same for all machines, or not, but I have a Liberty, and my leaders are taped on -- you can tell by unrolling all the way. My suggestion would be to unroll your current leader all the way, and before you take it off, run a line of painter's tape or a chalk line down the roller to mark the center location so you can make sure you get the new one on properly. I'm not sure how the leaders come now, but I must have leaders that are about 4-5' long and I can never imagine having to replace them. Perhaps trim them and get a new edge, but it would take years and years for me to use them all up!

Recently purchased a 2003 Freedom and changed out all the leaders on the frame. The original leaders were put on with some type of adhesive. The hardest part was getting the old adhesive off. Once that was done, I started putting on new canvases. My rolls have a faint seam line on each one down the center of the roll when they were manufactured. This made it very easy to line up my canvases. I just took some masking tape and temporarily taped them on the rolls as my wife helped me keep them lined up with the mark on the rolls. I then went back over the top all the way across with some Duct Tape. Worked great.

Kristie,

The "goo" is Liquid Nails. Since we produce so many rollers it helps us to position each canvas the first time on our production line. You should be able to scrape off the residue with a hard plastic putty knife (this will help prevent scratches to your roller). Then you will be able to see the roller "seam" as earlier mentioned, then do the duct tape.

You will want to mark the rollers temporarily with center markings until after you have used the canvases for a few quilts. They will have a tendency to wander slightly until the settle in according to your personal loading style. Use a water soluble marker and mark the center of the pick up roller. Then pull that canvas aross to the quilt top and backing roller, making sure the canvas is smooth and not skewed left or right. Then add marks to the other two rollers. Some quilters use a T-square to transfer the mark from the pick up roller to the other two, but not everyone has one of those laying around:).

Re-check the canvases between your quilts and adjust the marks if needed. When they settle in and your checks reveal no changes, you can permanently mark the centers if you wish.

let us know if you have trouble!

Archived