NQR Lace knitting question

I got a free knitting pattern for a market bag, you know, the kind you take to the market and it stretches as you put stuff in it? Anyway I am having trouble with the lace stitches and I was wondering if the stitches shift in any way as you knit in the round? Maybe I will take it all out and start again. I am only a few rows up from the base and it maight be easier to start again. TIA

ps...I know that you all are quilters and not knitters but where else to go but your best buds?

Hi Julia,

It's been a while since I did any knitting but.... here goes. When you say knitting in the round, are you using circular needles? I believe they come in two lengths and you may need the shorter ones (if the nylon is too long it can stretch it). If you are using 3 needles, then try switch to a circular. I don't know the size of needles or weight of yarn but if it is a weight issue, place your stitches onto a stitch holder to ease the stretch.

There is always a little stretch with 3 needles; it works itself in.

Sorry if this is clear as mud!!

Donna

Julia,

I do knit, I am not an expert. But the stitches don't shift when knitting in a circle. The pattern is created by how you knit the stitches. If you want to send me the part you are having problems with or the pattern, I can take a look at it.

My email is stagecl@yahoo.com

I won't promise I can figure it out, but I'll try:D

Julia, I do knit a lot, just finished a lace sweater, even when working in the round, you should be probably, doing a knit all stitches round in between the row where the yarn over's and other pattern stitches are....The stitches don't shift, but they are stabilized every other row with a plain row in most cases. Did you mark the beginning of the row? Perhaps it's just confusing directions... Will be out of town this week, but if you need to, u2 me and I'll help. Pat

Hey all. Thanks for answering this question for me. I did go to a knitters forum and got pretty much the same answers. I thinK I was forgetting yo's and loosing my place. I have torn it out and since then have been a very vigilent counter!!! I found a place I forgot a yo so I marked it and will make one in that spot in the next round. It is going much better, but I didn't want to forget to thank all who posted!!

You guys are the best!!:):):)

Archived