Quilting borders

Melody

No it is not hard. I do alot of freehand featherd borders that eveyone loves so I get tons of requests for them. I do have a turning fee of $15 to do this to compensate for my time. It takes me about 30 min to remove, trim the sides and repin the quilt.

Here is what I do. First quilt the center of the quilt. Then quilt the top and bottom border or borders if there are multiples. Now unpin your quilt and remove it from the frame. Trim the sides. I have learned to trim about 1/4 to 1/2" from the edge of the top to allow me to quilt all the way to the edge if I so desire. No fold in half and pin your center on both sides. Lineup the center pin and load onto the backing leader and then on the pickup leader. Roll it to tighten and then quilt. Once you do this a few times it will become easier. It might seem awkward the first time but with practice it is not hard at all.

Melody, I do this all the time. The only difference that I do from what "sewingupastorm" said is that I don't trim my side prior to reloading. I use the edge of the quilt to align the top on my canvases. I don't know if this is the correct way, but that is what I do.

Archived