NQR - Curtains

My dil wants me to teach her how to sew. They are moving into a new home and she wants to make the curtains, bed covers, etc. It'll be more like a duvet than a quilt. Anyone have any really good books out there that they'd recommend that I get for her to help with SIMPLE ideas?

Singer has a library of sewing reference books. Sewing Projects for the Home and More Sewing Projects for the Home have both duvet covers and window treatments in them. Check it out and see if one of those might meet your needs. I checked with Amazon and they have the first one at least. I think I bought mine at a local fabric store.

My favorite is an oldie, from 1992, Creative Window Treatments Forty-Five Styles Shown Step-by-Step published by The Home Decorating Institute. I see it used on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Window-Treatments-Step---Step/dp/086573352X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1319301437&sr=8-8

It shows how to measure and sew all kinds of curtains and valences.

I used the Singer series of books to make a variety of curtains/drapes. I think there are also throw pillows, maybe table runners, seat cushions, shower curtains and other items in those books. I haven't used them in a while but I do remember them being pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Dianne

Thanks! Ordered one of the singer books to get her started. I'll be heading down to So Cal when they move into their new place and by that time - I can teach her a little bit. She's also going to get a couple little girl dress patterns - she might as well learn how to make those too!

Archived