How do I make the straight line vertical...

Stagecl

instead of horiztonal for basting down the sides. I know it is sooo easy I will be embarrassed that I couldn't figure it out and someone has to tell me. Oh well, that is life. I just got my CQ on Friday...I am the unnerd of the computer world. Thank goodness it is very user friendly. I have already quilted 8 quilts on it and have fallen in love with CQ.

I have been pinning the sides and pulling pins out before the machine stitches too close. I know there is a way to change the vertical line. Jim showed me when he was here installing the CQ...but like a dummie I didn't write it down thinking I would remember (who was I kidding?)

Everything else has been a piece of cake...what fun...

Thanks for the help.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hi Cheryl

You are going to town with your CQ - it really is fun isn't it :D

OK here is your answer: you want to baste down the sides with CQ, just as you would baste the top horizontally, right?

- go to Outline Page

- if there is already a line up from previous use, click Reset Profile

- jog to where you want the new line to start, click Set Position

- use the down arrow key to move the machine vertically downward (-Y)

- if your side border is straight you could just go to the bottom of where you want to stop and click Set Position, then Finish

- if your side border is not exactly straight from the top to the bottom of the vertical line you want to stitch, then you would jog with the down arrow in smaller increments and Set Position along the way

- if you are setting multiple positions and you don't like a setting, click Quit/Reset

- Now click Go to Zero - the machine will move to the beginning of your line

- press Run and it will go

- To continue to run a vertical line the same distance you just set, as you advance the quilt, just jog to the start of the new line, Set Zero and Run

Cheryl, if anything here is not clear, call me and I will walk you through it while you're in front of your machine. You're doing really well for having your system for such a short time so just know that! I promise you will never stop having fun with your CQ - its a blast :P:P

Best Wishes to you,

-Suzanne Moreno :cool:

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

Hi Cheryl, congratulations on getting the CQ.

Here is what I do - I use this method similar to using the channel locks.

When I want to baste the sides of the quilt instead of pinning the sides, I disconnect the Y cable. Using the CQ I move the head to the X position I want to sew in and then manually move the head down the side of the quilt.

I do this same procedure (with the X cable) when I want to baste my batting and top to the take-up leader.

There is more than one way to do something and I find this way is fast and easy;)

Thanks, Suzanne...

I knew there was an easy way....

I love the CQ...don't know how I lived so long without it:D

I plan on taking a class from you soon Suzanne....could you email me information? My email is stagecl@yahoo.com...thanks

Sue,

I considered removing the cable, but didn't know if I wanted to go through that each time I needed to stitch vertically. I am going to try both ways to figure out what I way works best for me.

Thanks for the input.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Originally posted by Stagecl

Sue,

I considered removing the cable, but didn't know if I wanted to go through that each time I needed to stitch vertically. I am going to try both ways to figure out what I way works best for me.

The main reason I find this easier for me is that many times I get a border that has issues and I find it easier to work some of these issues if I manually move the head slowly using a large stitch and work the fabric. Please let us know which method works for you.

Sue

Cheryl,

You're welcome, I was glad to help you. :) You asked how to use CompuQuilter to create the vertical stitching, so that's what I answered. I stitch the top with CQ, and pin the sides and body of the quilt, most of the time. CQ gives us the flexibility to try different ways to control the sides of the quilt as necessary. With CQ you have both hands free to ease in the fabric if the quilt piecing isn't ideal and there's some extra fullness, so in many cases the pinning method works great. You could also do fast CQ basting with a larger basting stitch, let it run straight down the side of the quilt. Run your computerized design starting and ending off the edges. Now that your edges are quilted down, remove your large basting stitches that were computer created if they are not within the seam allowance in some places maybe because the border is a little wonky. No pins, and your hands are free to make sure edges are down as you run computerized designs over them. I've done this too and it works great as well. All this can take place quickly with just a little experience with your CQ.

If you use the manual technique to baste down the sides of the quilt, you have a couple of things to consider:

- If you use the manual technique while quilting a quilt with all-computerized designs (no hand-guided work), then you will be taking the machine on and off CompuQuilter EVERY time you advance the quilt. You'll disconnect cable to do the manual vertical stitching, then you'll reconnect to run your design with CQ. Then you'll advance the quilt, and do this procedure again and again until the quilt is done. Since I use my computerized system for my quilting business, I'm quilting customer quilts almost daily. We can disconnect and reconnect from CQ quickly, but I wouldn't want to do that every time I advanced the quilt, multiplied by all the quilts I do. So that decision would be a personal choice for you.

- The next thing to consider is that the cables stretch over time and depending on your CQ use. Connecting and disconnecting many times per day or frequently can put a stretch on the cables and that can affect the precision of your design as it stitches. You can tighten the cables, and all of us will need to do that from time to time, but then there is a finite place where the cables cannot accommodate any further adjustment and have to be replaced. In the last 2 years I have replaced all the cable once, and just the Y cable one additional time. This cable thing can really make a difference in designs stitching with tremendous precision, so I don't like to monkey with them alot. ;) With your machine stopped, gently try to move it horizontally and vertically. If it has any play in it, your cables need to be tightened. There are separate adjustment locations for the X and Y cables.

All the best to you and happy CQ quilting - customers LOVE the thousands of design options we can do for them.

- Suzanne Moreno :cool:

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

Suzanne,

That was one of the considerations in not disconnecting the cables each time (stretching the cable). Right now, the thought of diconnecting the Y cable each time seems a like too much work.

Sue,

I think if I had a difficult border...which many are...I would pin when running the CQ unless it is really bad.

I am going to first try changing the straight line to vertical then undoing the cable. In my mind undoing the cable seems like a lot of work.

Thanks for all the help!:)

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hi ladies,

You know this infomation had me take a look at my cables and I found that they are really loose.

I do alot of quilts also and I do attach and reattach my CQ usually twice a quilt.

I freehand my top basting stitch, I pin the side to ease the fullness in if needed also, I then connect CQ and do my designs throughout the quilt and then I usually will disconnect my CQ to do all my SID throughout the quilt.

This might explain my loose cables. I noticed a design not stitching to perfection just yesterday. Now I realize my cables are probly too loose.

I'm going to try and adjust them today and stitch this same design as the quilt is still on my machine ready for the next row of ETE. I'll see if this makes a difference in the quality of the design I have chosen.

Good Luck Cheryl. As a beginner not to long ago myself I found there is some trial and error along the way but like Suzanne said you will find the best way that suits you depending on the number of quilts you plan on doing. I do alot of quilts and with experience comes gained knowledge about what is the best application to use. As someone who Quilts for others and who wants to make money quilting I think of time as Money. Along with a quality quilting design I do want to execute the job as quickly as I can to move on the next one.

Have a Blessed Sunday and thanks for the infomation. Gee I guess we can all learn something new each day.

Archived