smaller thread spools

Originally posted by vicky webster

Yes..I used the horizontal spool holder.

LOL now that I reread my post it sounds kind of stupid. I'm sure that pretty much anyone who has a machine would know what that post is for. ;)

I don't have any advice about why your thread isn't working properly. I'm curious about the answer as well as I haven't used my horizontal spool holder yet either.

Guest Linda S

I use my horizontal spool holder a lot. Mostly for Monopoly or other specialty threads that come on smaller spools. I have never had any problem with it. Can you tell me what sort of trouble you had?

Linda

How did you run the thread path?

When I use my horizontal spool holder (which I think is an absolute neccessity because I LOVE specialty threads!!), I run the thread all the way back to the first thread guide (above the vertical cone holder on the machine) and back through as normal.

When I first tried to run the thread without going all the way back to the first guide), I had some issues with the thread. I think the added distance allows the horizontally wound thread to relax more from it's previous curled position before it goes through the disc tensioner. You might have to loosen your top tension a bit with a longer thread path.

Try this and see if it helps!!:P

Hi Vicky, I recently watched a quilting show on tv and they were talking about different threads and how they sew differently, poly, cotton, metallic, etc. They also mentioned that how the thread is actually wound on the spool can make a difference in the stiching and whether it should be on ahorozontal or vertical guide.I think the terms used were stacked threads and spun or wound threads. I would try another spool up front, one that is wound differently and see if it makes a difference. Good luck with your quilting. By the way, I'm in the next town over, in Mansfield! DB

Sorry that I am late in replying but I went out to lunch with my grandson and daughter and forgot to log off. I did not go back and thread through the first thread guides. I just threaded right from the horizontal holders. The tension did not feel good and the thread did not roll off of the holder smoothly. Is there a secret to positioning those horizontal holders? BTW..I have had my machine for a while but I have been terrified of the front of the machine and I am "facing my fears"!!!!!!

Archived