squeaking m&m wheels

Hi Bekah,

Even with the new M & M wheels you will have oxidation occurring. The oxidation comes from the aluminum in the carriage (and the rails if you have a standard 8-wheel system). The wheel surface and material makes a difference between the M & M wheels and the previous APQS wheel versions.

The previous wheels had a rougher, porous surface that tended to cling to the oxidation particles, allowing them to build up inside the wheels themselves, layer upon layer. However, the M & M wheel surface is smooth and not really porous, so the oxidation particles won't cling--instead they appear to flake off in wafer-thin sections.

To keep your machine moving at peak efficiency, make it a habit to wipe your M & M wheels out with a soft rag between every quilt to remove oxidation flakes. Wipe the aluminum rails with rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth (this is not necessary on the Bliss steel rod that runs the length of the table--only the carriage edges). If you do not have M & M wheels or the Bliss system, wipe both the carriage edges and the long rail edges with the cloth and alcohol. Do this between each quilt for easy access.

If your wheels are not M & M wheels, you can also use the rubbing alcohol and rag on the wheels themselves to help break down and "dig out" the oxidation residue that is embedded into the wheel surface.

Any time you have a question or concern, don't hesitate to contact me--we are here to help!

I don't know how difficult it would be on a newer machine, but the oxidation build up on the tracks and wheels can be eliminated by having the tracks hard anodized. I had the tracks (aluminum angles) on my Ult2 anodized about a year ago. The carriage came already anodized (I don't know whether APQS did it originally or not). I used to have to be careful not to run the track wheels over the quilt back or top when I was loading a quilt because I'd get awful black tracks on them. I no longer have that problem. All I have to do is wipe the dust of the tracks once in a while. I've got Edgerider wheels on the machine, and they almost never need cleaning.

All you have to do is locate a local electro plater, who anodizes, take the parts in question in and have them do it for you. I think the anodizing also greatly increases the life of the part (like we'll ever wear out the tracks LOL). Anyway it solved my problem. Jim BTW it cost me $50 to have it done in clear. I could have had a color for a few dollars more, but performance was my main objective.

Archived