binding machine

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's called the Marelli Zip Binding system and Stitch in the Ditch attachment -- bought the binding attachment and love it. Watched the people several times attempt to use the SID attachment and it didn't do a good job. They had issues each time.

However, since I don't mind sewing my binding twice (by hand sometimes for those special quilts), I did watch the binding attachment and actually went back to the show the following day and they let me try it. I don't attach my binding without it anymore. Takes the guess work out and keeps you on track beautifully. It was a little pricey doe the attachment but it came with a few extra tools, like binder clips, etc. That have been helpful and somes in a nice reusable case.

I have gone to my SMD and tried the Baby Lock binder and the Brother and White but didn't like them. This system has proven to be the best for me at a much more reasonable price and much more portable.

Best of luck.

I have the Martelli binder and I hate it. I cannot get it to work properly with my DMS - it starts out great and then misses stitches and I end of having to rip out the stitches constantly. I know there is a learning curve but after trying to get it to work on quite a few quilts I gave up. It just sits in my drawer and one of these days I'll probably just throw it out. It was rather expensive for what it is - a piece of plastic. I've seen some that are made of metal and I understand they work much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I misspelled the name of the tool that I've got and Sue, you and I have the same tool, I think. They have two sets -- one for two part binding (sew on, turn and finish), and the other for sewing both front and back at the same time. I have the two part system. Sue - don't know what directions you received with your binder but according to their website, they now have new directions. Maybe they goofed and the new directions will help eliminate the current issue you're having. I hope so.

I still like the binding tool that I have. I must be a little weird. Sure hope you find a resolution (no, not a New's Years resolution) - and can enjoy puttin' on the binding. It's my most favorite part of the whole quilting process.

Sue - I took a peak at your website and you've done some very pretty quilts. Love the Winnie the Pooh, really like the Twisted Sister, and your flag is awesome. I also made a flag to scale (it's about 6+' X 9'~)and I think I used the same backing fabric as shown on the one you quilted. I really like the way yours turned out.

Happy New Years, Ladies. May you do some awesome quilting next year!

Ladies,

Is there a website for this product so we can see it? It would be nice to find an attachment that worked. The binding foot for the Bernina didn't suit me because the binding was too small so I didn't have much luck with that for my quilts. It works well with other things though.

Thanks

Originally posted by sandradarlington

I bought a metal binding foot/attachment for my Bernina. I never took the time to learn to use it, so I can't say if it is a good investment, or not. Perhaps others know about it and can chime in here.

I wanted to buy this accessory for my Bernina and my dealer talked me out of it. I have not been able to find many reviews of it and am still interested. I like to add the wider binding to my quilts and for charity quilts I'm not interested in finishing the binding by hand.

Any feedback at all about the Bernina binding foot would be welcome.

Okay, this is the link to the Kwik Bind system which you'd use if you wanted to sew both front and back at the same time. I saw this one demonstrated and she just couldn't get it to work 100% and struggled too much for my taste:

http://www.martellinotions.com/ProductDescriptions.html#Kwik Bind

This is the link to the Zip Bind system which I purchased and like very much. However, I use it to attach very small binding and hand sew or machine sew the second side. Ricky Tims has got me hooked on that tiny binding and the cording accent. It really helps me to be more accurate when applying the binding:

http://www.martellinotions.com/ProductDescriptions.html#Zip Bind

Sure hope you find something.

The one I have is the original Kwik Bind system with the 5/8" attachment. I don't have the 3/8" attachment. One of the biggest problems I have is that the fabric doesn't fold properly as it is fed through the tube. It starts off great and everything looks wonderful then all of a sudden I'll get missed stitches and when I check the back, the fabric didn't fold correctly and the binding isn't getting sewn down properly. Lots of frogging for me.:(

Archived