Upper Midwest Machine Quilters Meeting Saturday

Just a reminder that the Upper Midwest Machine Quilters meeting is this Saturday in the Twin Cities (Eden Praire). It starts at 11am at Wooddale Church. Show &Tell, Potluck, and free demo mad workshop by Norma Reihm. See the posts below from last winter's meeting to get an idea of what it is like. I am going with 3 or 4 other long armers from Duluth-Superior. Come join us if you live within commuting distance!

Hi Sharon,

The Upper Midwest Machine Quilters only meet quarterly. The meeting this Saturday starts at 11am at:

Wooddale Church

6630 Shady Oak Road

Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Phone: 952-944-6300

Apparently it is a simple potluck (bring whatever you want) and then a program. Lasts a couple of hours. I have not been to one before, but a couple of friends have, and seem to enjoy it. Here is a link to more info and directions:

http://uppermidwestmachinequilters.blogspot.com/p/directions-to-wooddale-church.html

Maybe I'll see you there?

I live 2 hours west of the Cities so Eden Prairie is where I enter the Cities. I have never heard of this group and it would be fun to go. But Saturday I have to work because one of my Hotel Clerks had a death in the family so I have to work her shift that day. And hopefully my hubby will take me out for supper that night--as it is my birthday. But it would be fun to go sometime to meet some of the quilters on here that are from MN. I'm sure you'll ahve a great day.

I went to the UMMQ (Upper Midwest Machine Quilters Guild) in Eden Prairie, MN (Twin Cities) last Saturday with 3 friends. Since it was my first time, and some of you said you weren't aware of it, I thought I'd let you know how it went.

There were about 30 longarmers there (and 1 former longarmer, who moved to a smaller place so had to sell her machine, but is committed to learning to machine quilt on a conventional machine). Everyone was real friendly and new president, Mary Nordeng (SP?), started the meeting by every one introducing their name, city, type of longarm used and number of years machine quilting. Longarmers came from all over both Minnesota and Wisconsin. Experience varied from just starting to about 15 years. Machines varied from APQS, A-1, Handiquilter, Nolting, and Gammill.

Then, there were announcements, mostly about upcoming shows and dates.

Then, we had show & tell which is always fun. I would say the level of quilting expertise was fairly high, with both all-over freehand and computerized, and custom freehand and computerized. Varied from country style to contemporary style. The show & tell went fairly fast and smooth (not spiced with long stories like some are).

Then we ate -- potluck with everyone bringing something, so of course it was yummy!

Then, Sue Heinz who worked at the Bear Patch in White Bear Lake for 10 years, gave a mini-class on Sharon Schamber's technique of glueing a binding on, without pins, prior to sewing. Sue was a fun, well-grounded, and a natural at teaching.

I forgot to mention that the guild has two tables available for members to sell items each meeting. You have to sign up to reserve a table prior to the meeting. At this meeting, Sue Heinz had her book of machine quilting ideas which 2 of us bought, and an assortment of Schamber books and tools. That concluded the 2-hour meeting.

After the meeting, a full workshop was held by Sue Heinz (I don't know what she taught -- sorry), but it was a paid, pre-registration required. Apparently, they always have a workshop of some sort available.

All in all, I would say it was a well-organized and worthwhile guild meeting. Some of the top-notch teachers from the Twin Cities belong to it and were there, including Kimmy Brunner and Sophie Collier.

I better sign off before the computer kicks me off. The UMMQ is looking to grow and expand, so if you live within commuting distance I'd encourage you to join the group!

• 5 months later...

Archived