Skipping stitches vertically

I own a 2003 Millennium. I've been reading the post on this problem and have tried leveling machine, cleaning rubber encoder wheel, replacing the needle 3 times, rethreaded machine, and adjusted the tension. It leaves long threads when I'm running machine vertically, not horizontally. I've also ran machine without stitch regulator and it still does it. Any suggestions on what else I can do to eliminate this problem?

Deborah Raptis

Mountain Quilting

If the vertical skipping happens when you are pulling the machine towards you and there are needle holes where the stitch should have been made, the needle is flexing enough to make the hook miss the pick-up.

If it's happening as you push away, I would say it's the SR encoder wheel--but you say it's happening in non-SR mode as well...

Try upping your needle size or else you may need to re-time to push the hook closer to the needle. If you haven't ever replaced your hook assembly (with a 2003) it may be worn and need replacing anyway. If you have replaced it, then you know how to re-time and just an adjustment is all you need.

Good luck!

Deborah

If there are holes in between the long stitches it is not a stich regulator problem but a timing issue. I suspect there is as you say it happens in non regulated mode as well. When you insert your needle you can turn it slightly to the left so the hole is about the 6:35 position instead of 6:30 sometimes this works. If not you are going to learn how to time your machine. Don't worry just follow the instructions in your manual. It took me a couple of hours the first time but now I can do it in about 10 minutes. Let us know where you are and maybe someone local can help you through it the first time.

Nigel

Ultimate 1 with IQ

Edit

A couple of more things to check. Grab the needlebar between your thumb and first finger and see if you find any play front to back and side to side. There should be none. Remove your bobbin and put your thumb on the post and your first two fingers behind the hook and see if you have any play in and out. Again should be none. Play in either will cause skipped stitches.

Archived