quilting frame

I am setting up my frame for the Ultimate II. How much space do you leave between the quilt and the machine bed?

My Nustyle machine had all the poles even, and you just left enough space to see between.

These poles are not even, so I do not know where to start with the height.

Any tips would be welcome. Shirley

Yes, it is the wooden table. The lady bought the machine from the factory, used in 2002, and the machine is a 1994.

I am hoping I can get it set up like it is supposed to be. The pole that goes in the neck of the machine is higher than the other poles. I would like to know how high off the frame the quilt should be.

The quilting field should ideally be flat from front to back for best results, without any drag and without an obvious "up" slant. Lower the back roller until the quilt is level. Then raise the roller as the quilt is advanced to keep the quilt "floating" under the foot. With the frames with a leveler roller, it is suggested that the roller should be up from the base of the machine high enough to slip your fingers in up to the outside knuckles. Maybe give that height a try.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you both for replying. We are really tired as we moved one frame out, and another in.

We will try and level it out tomorrow, and hopefully, everything will go okay.

I have been reading this forum since I first got the NuStyle, so have learned much from you all since then, four years ago. I feel like this is a really big step forward.

I hope to learn enough from this machine, that I can expand. I would love to try ruler work, but first comes the base and a new foot from Sherry.

The lady that bought my old machine is just as proud of it as I was when I bought it. It was a great one to learn on, but it does not take long to outgrow it.

Again thanks to everyone who has helped me since I first went and looked at it. Shirley

Shirley: As you know, I have an Ult2. I modified my table and now I have the "smoothing" roller Linda references. I keep mine a bit closer to the machine bed than is recommended (about 1/4") One thing I learned just after I got my machine, is that you probably need to adjust the foot height. I could find no reference in the owner's manual about this setting. I've learned that the thickness of a dime is just right. So loosen and slide the foot up on the presser foot bar. set a dime over the hole in the needle plate, and then slide the foot down until it just touches (with no pressure) the dime. Tighten the foot and you're good to go. I also increased the pressure needed to raise the foot by loosening the clamp with the rod for lifting the foot, sliding it up the pressure foot rod about 1/4" and tightening it. It seems to give me better stitch quality. Don't bother to do this until you have the machine up and running. Maybe individual machines are different, and this is just part of "tweeking" the machine. Good luck and regards. Jim

Archived