How to take photos of quilt for a show?

I've been thinking about entering a quilt into a local small show. The show requires two pictures, one of the whole quilt including binding and one of a close-up shot so they can see the quilting.

Any advice on how to photo the upclose shot is appreciated. I'm not sure if it should be straight-on or from an angle, and how close is close?

This is my first time.

Thank you.

the key to photographing the detail of the quilting is side lighting. i turn off the overhead lights in the room, turn off the flash on the camera, and place a gooseneck lamp at the edge and take pictures...don't worry about the colors in the detail shot, that's what the full shot is for.

that's how i do it....for the big international shows i hire a professional photographer

Guest Linda S

Side lighting is good if you are taking the pictures indoors. If you read the suggestions for the International Shows, they suggest you take the quilt outside in the morning and have the sun at your back. I know this can be a bit difficult in winter, but I've found I do get the best shots when I do that. The natural light just really shows the quilting well. I did try using my quilt stand outside, but even in a slight breeze, it would blow over. Now I put a sheet or something on the ground and then put the quilt on top of that, tuck the ends of the sheet under, so they are not in the photo.

Archived