machine troubles

I am using an ultimate ll quilting machine, until recently it has been going fine. But now, I have thread looping on the bottom, and stitches skipping on top and breaking. I have tried everything I can think of, we've cleaned it, oiled it, changed needles, checked timing, even taken off the side cover to check for thread wound around the wheel. NOthing seems to make a difference. The machine seems to be jerky when running, not smooth like before. I have ordered new needles from APQS thinking maybe the brand makes a difference? Any other advice or tips I could try? Thanks!

KimberK

Gee I am not an expert, so I hope someone answers you soon. You might try the bobbin case tension test to see if that is a problem and that its not too loose or tight. I have to adjust, when I change to thinner thread for the bottom. The other problem I am not sure what could causing that. I have had similar sounding I took my needle out and reposition, I don't think I actually had it in right. And my problem disappeared. Hope this helps.

Hi Kim,

Make sure that your pressure foot is sitting down on the needle plate when your machine is off of the fabric. Since it is NOT a hopping foot it needs to make contact with the fabric at all times or you will have stitching problems. It will even act like your machine is out of time and the problem can be in the foot. Check that out and if you still have problems, please call us at (800) 426-7233 ext. #6 and we will see what we can get done for you. Good luck!

Mark APQS

Kim,

You might want to try a new bobbin case. I had similar problems. After trying everything we could think of Connie said she's send me a new bobbin case and tension control. Never had to use the new tension control. Worked like a charm. Later I remembered that I had dropped the bobbin and the spring type insert came out.

Barbara 14

Thank you for asking that question Kim

I was so frustrated at Susie.. she was making long skipped stitches after being so good.... I opened e-mail and there was the APQS e-mail and your question..

I had adjusted my foot to go over a fat quilt... and had to put it down.. that was the problem.. she is purring like a kitty again.... Just dumb old me.. good thing machines cant talk...

Sometimes I wish the machine could talk, that way it could tell me what it's problem is! Thank you all for your kind words and advice! I will try the new bobbin case like suggested, and I have new needles coming from APQS, and I will adjust the foot. I will let you know what happens!

Thanks so much again! It's nice to have someone to talk to who understands what I'm talking about!

Bad news, I spoke too soon I'm afraid, the first half of my row sewed beautifully, I thought I had the problem licked, but all of a sudden towards the end of the row, I'm rolling merrily along, and snap! The needle just broke. Snapped it right off! I can't guess why, the stitching up to that point was very nice. I don't even know where to go from here!

Kim: you may have already checked this and it may not even be close to the problem but I would check to be sure the needle is hitting right in the middle of the little hole in the throat plate. If it's not hitting right smack dab in the middle of the hole, then maybe with the machine moving and hitting seams just the wrong way, you're getting enough needle deflection for it to hit metal instead of hitting the hole???

Please don't ever wish for the machine to talk!:o Between a husband, a 16 year old and a dog, if one more "thing" starts talking to me, I'm running away from home!

Kim,

Check your stitch length. You should be getting around 10 stitches to the inch. If they are much bigger, fewer stitches to the inch, you can over flex the neeedle and hit something you shouldn't. You can turn your speed dial up if needed if this is your problem or else you would have to slow down your movement of the machine. I think it is easier to speed up the machine and continue moving the same with the machine. Let us know how it turns out or if you need further assistance.

Mark APQS

Archived