WHY? new needles, thread breaking with everyone..

I can't figure out what is wrong. I need to change the needle, so I've done that, with 20 different, brand new needles, and every single time, the thread breaks. I put the old needle in and there's NO thread breakage.

I've been quilting with this same needle for almost 8 months now, and I have to use it cause no other needle will work because the thread keeps breaking. I've tried several different brands of needles, and needles in the same pack, needles from different packs and the same thing happens....the thread breaks.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the thread keeps breaking, yet I put that old needle back in and it sews like a dream. But the needle is dull, like you can't believe, so I really do need to change it.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks

Rita

Rita,

If you've used that needle for so long, its eye has worn down to a smooth surface with all the thread that passes through it. When you switch to a new needle with a "sharper" eye that's newly stamped, it won't be able to handle the same thread tension that you've been using.

Put in a practice piece or work on the side of your project. Put one of the new needles in.

Now, time to change the tension. :) LOOSEN the bobbin case tension until you bobbin case feels like it will zing to the floor if you let go of it. Next, LOOSEN the top tension two or three complete revolutions. The goal is to back off the tension on top and bobbin to get your thread to pull gently through the needle without breaking. That means loosen them both up a LOT (the stitches may look awful) but at least it stops breaking and then starts sewing.

If the stitches do look bad, start by tightening the top tension first. Turn the knob 1/2 turn and check the tension on top and back. If you feel the top thread pulling to the back, or the bobbin thread looks like it's laying there flat, tighten the top tension another 1/2-turn. Keep going until the stitches look balanced again.

This should do the trick--the old needle was able to handle much tighter tension on top and bottom than your new one--but if it doesn't, let me know.

Archived